Help, I'm going on holiday & I am having a flare up

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was sent into hospital 2yrs ago as an emergency.  Was initially told I had a rare cancer outside of the bowel, but after several weeks I was diagnosed with diverticula disease. 

I had a bad flare up soon afterwards when my GP gave me some sachet drinks ( several things have the opposite effect on me to what they should )  Since then I have managed my diet fairly well, - holidays are always risky as you are away from your usual foods -

But at the moment I am having a flare up. For the last couple of weeks I have been having indigestion pains, I got my bra fitting checked out, cut out anything I thought might be building up gas, to no avail. It is now full blown.  I have an appointment with my doc. in 3 days time.  We are going on holiday in 5 days time - the husband is really panicking.

Then suddenly during the night I had a light bulb moment, could it be the fact that I have been having salad every day for the last few weeks, my daughter is trying to lose weight & I thought I would show solidarity.

I started to read this forum this morning & thought OMG.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jean! I would definitely go on liquid diet or better still just drink water and herbal tea until you feel relief and then start with soups!!

It's the only way to calm things down and any time I have been admitted to hospital solid foods are a no no. All the best and hope your good to travel.

• Posted

Hi. Aifric,  You're right about just having liquids, as the pain is so much worse as soon as I eat anything solid.    I did wonder about having Complan, so that I would still be getting nutrients as I worry about becoming constipated.  That is how I ended up in hospital & was diagnosed the first time.

• Posted

Hi Jean,cant you get to see your GP earlier giving you more time?ive often wondered if salads cause me problems.I know what you mean about holidays,iwent to Mauritius with a flare from the UK and ended up visiting the loo on th plane about 4 times during the flight,i got through it though,but had a fairly miserable time.Hope you improve quickly.
    • Posted

Hi. Yvonne,   It's a bank holiday weekend isn't it, so I was lucky to get an appointment on Tues.     It's not much fun beeing poorly away from home is it.  Instead of looking at the sights, all you are doing is looking for the nearest loo.   I am going to follow Aifric's advice & stick to liquids & hopefully it will ease off.

• Posted

Hi Jean,

Only just logged in to this site since the day before yesterday,  If it helps at all, I was told by a nutritionist a long while ago that salad wasn't good for this condition.  Of course, maybe that is not the same for everyone but although I have gone back to eating it my stomach is not so good the next day.  The nutritionist also said to only eat fruit and vegetables cooked not raw

Phyllis

• Posted

I switched to eating--butternut squash soup, mashed potatoes, apple sauce and scrambled eggs. Do you think that is too much of solid food? Today is the last day of my antibiotics and I still feel the pain in my side.

Thanks for the info about the salad.

• Posted

Hi Jesse,hope you are feeling a little better,let us know how you are doing and what your doc says.Lets hope you are ok for your holiday,where  are you going? xx
    • Posted

Hi. Phyllis,  it's hard to believe that something supposedely good for your health can be so bad for you.

I have been making smoothies ( before this flare up ) with bananas  kiwi's & orange juice,  seeds again, I'll have to stop that now.  I will give the cooked fruit a go though,  poached fruit is nice isn't it.

• Posted

Hi. Jess,  I would think scrambled eggs would be ok, but does anybody know if fruits such as apples are ok, or are they too acidic for our special tums ?

Hope you're fully recovered soon.

• Posted

Hi. Yvonne,  did you mean Jesse or Jean ?    I'm feeling a little better & am now wondering if I should go to the doc's tomorrow.  He's just going to say - what are you doing here if you are feeling better -  I can't really pretend that i'm not as my temp. has dropped, & my stomach is not as bloated & hard, even though there is still some pain.I got some complan, going to try that today.

We are going to Porto.

• Posted

Hi Jean sorry yes i meant you,i think you should still see the doctor just to be on the safe side they may give you more antibioics to take on hol just to be on the safe side,also even if its to give you some kind of support so you know you will be ok on holiday.Not heard of Porto.
    • Posted

Since I last sent you a message, I see that someone else has mentioned salad.  I am O.K. if I just have a small amount to go with something else but like you, if I eat a big plate then it has it's own back on me.  I can eat stewed apples O.K. the only problem is that unless I put quite a lot of sugar on them they are so sour.  I seem to be able to eat any vegetables as long as they are cooked soft.  I am trying to stay away from red meat also.

I hope that you have a good holiday and maybe let everyone know how it went when you get back.

Phyllis

• Posted

Hi.  Yvonne,   i'm feeling a lot better now, but I am still being careful.  I did cancel my doc's app't. I hope I haven't shot myself in the foot,  but I don't think he would have given me antibiotics if I was at the end of a flare up. & I didn't want him thinking I was a time waster.  ( like you, the husband thinks I was wrong to cancel )

I'm surprised I got away without an attack for so long, when I look at what I normally eat, it's nearly all got nuts or seeds in.

Porto is the 2nd largest town in Portugal.

• Posted

Hi. Phyllis,  if the list of "bad foods"  gets any longer,  we will be back on baby food.   I like my veg "al dente"   I can cope with stewed fruit & i'm not a fan of sugar, so the tartness won't bother me. You can also poach fruit can't you, at least then it is still whole & doesn't look like something you are given in the nursing home.  But I am already a faddy eater & now it's getting to the point where I will be like Quentin Crisp ( anyone remember him ?) who just lived on Complan.

Some of the vegi foods you can get aren't bad, or are you not supposed to eat those either ?

• Posted

Hi Jean,good news about you feeling a bit better,have a lovely time in Portugal,im hoping i will be ok next week as im going to Greece,Its  always a bit of gamble,but you have to take chances in life otherwise we would never go anywhere.Take care.
    • Posted

Hi. Yvonne,   It is a gamble when you go away as you are out of your comfort zone concerning food.  But hey ho you have to live your life or you will just go under.

Have a lovely time in Greece.

• Posted

Hi Jean,  I have never tried Vegi foods.  I wonder if vegetarians get D.D.?

Today, I started off the day not bad but ended up with such a bloated stomach, I looked pregnant.  I was so uncomfortable.  I haven't eaten a lot today either.  Had some bread lunchtime but only half a sandwich.  Maybe my idea of giving up bread is a good one for me.  Now, I am puzzling over my diet yet again.  Why is it always the foods that we love that upset us?

Have a good holiday

• Posted

Hi. everyone,  back from holiday, had a good time.  The first few days were a bit iffy, mainly because I was scared to eat anything, but once I was confident enough to know I wasn't ordering tripe or similiar I did ok.  I ate grilled sea bass, salmon & chicken mainly.     I was having a couple of glasses of wine in the evening but after a couple of days I was getting heartburn type pain,  so decided to change to vodka e tonica,  it's not a drink they serve regularly so there were a few hiccups, but when it was right it was good - the glass was like a fish bowl & it was almost to the brim, when I first saw it I thought there is not going to be any trace of vodka in here, but there certainly was, there must have been a triple in there. -

Now that I'm home again I am trying to sort out my diet so that I cut the risk of more flare ups. I don't know how I got away with it for so long before as I was having seeds, nuts, salad,skins, the lot.  I'm also looking for decent non alcoholic wine, I enjoy a glass of wine at home. Does anyone know if the non/ alc is ok. for divi d's?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.