Help...I need advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi so my name is Megan, I am 14 and new to this forum. I have been suffering from panic attacks for around 8 months now and last night was my worst so far. Last night I went to a concert with a friend, there were thousands of people at this concert and it was all indoors in a small ish arena. There were no seats so everyone was standing. The act had three support acts so we were standing for 3 hours before they actually came on. I'm not very good with big crowds, lots of people and small spaces but because I would be singing along and jumping I thought I would be too distracted to have a panic attack. But as soon as the main act came on everyone started screaming really loud, there was pitch black and then all of a sudden there was loads of really bright flashing lights. This started my panic attack and it didn't get better, people kept screaming and each time that finished a song it would go pitch black before loads of lights would flash again, making me feel really lightheaded. My legs where shaking like mad, I could feel my heart rate throughout my body and I literally felt like I was going to collapse. I had a empty bottle in my hand which I squeezed as hard as I could to distract myself but each second I just felt worse and worse. Eventually after 30 minutes of them being on I decides to push my way back though the thousands of people to the back of the arena. I went into the toilets and sat in the cubicle for around 20 minutes trying to calm myself down, stopyself from shaking and slow down my heart rate. I waited outside for the rest of the concert. Now today I was in school and some boys decided to flash the lights on and off which brought back all of these feelings and each time I think about it I have a panic attack. What do I do ? Is there any way I can stop this from happening and even stop my panic attacks altogether ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you had a really unpleasant experience at the concert and the boys antics with the lights reignited your fears.  There is no real cure but to avoid that sort of situation in the future so that you don't feel afraid like that again.

All the best 

richard

• Posted

Hi Megan

I have suffered from anxiety for years, not very reassuring I know!  However, recently I have realised that our thoughts of anxiety are just that- thoughts. If you take control of your thoughts and refuse to give them free reign this helps enormously. When a negative thought enters your head just say to yourself o.k. that is not helpful let it go. Because I thought it is not true or a fact it is just a passing thought. Replace it with something helpful - I can cope with this situation, I am a good person, I will grow through the 

• Posted

Hi again

for some reason I couldn't finish my text. I was going to say let the experience enable you to grow. Never avoid situations it will make the problem worse. Confide in very good trustworthy friends. Talking is the best therapy. Look at your diet and avoid,caffeine

• Posted

This happened to me too! I spent all this money to go to my first concert (wiz khalifa and ASAP rocky) and I was at the very front and I was right in the middle of a mosh pit. It was just way to much and I started having a panic attack it was horrible. On top of that I had to push threw hundreds of people to get out and I ended up just staying in the restroom for the rest of the concert sad
  • Posted

I too have had anxiety & other emotional issues since I was aprox. 14. I'm now much older & one thing I can tell you for sure, work to get a handle on this ASAP...it can really totally affect your life & not in a good way if you don't. Now so much more is know than back in the 60's when I 1st started to have my issues. Also there are a good deal of alternative meds that work really well, but as one person suggested, do find people to talk to, but I hasten to suggest that you make sure you talk to people who are knowledgeable....if you talk to people who know nothing more than you do, it's highly unlikely you will find answers. Yes it will help just to talk to someone who is sympathetic, like friends, but for real life advise or help, then you need to talk to someone who is more knowledgeable...now that doesn't have to be a Dr. ....so know that....It could be a minister or priest, or a nun or a teacher or 100 other people who are knowledgeable about life, but the important thing is to start to talk, don't bottle it up..that will work against you and only make it worse. Also be very aware that some foods and drinks could have created the very same symptoms. For example, if I drink coffee, it will cause me to have  the same symptoms that you got when you started shaking and had a rapid heart beat. Also the flashing light can be a symptom of a specific issue, that does require specific meds and constant medical attention, at least for a few months.(I used to go to college with  someone who had the is same condition, so I'm familiar with what you MAY have) So don't ignore getting to the Dr. ASAP as that could prove fatal. I'm not kidding one bit! Go to a Dr. or if you don't have one and you have no money, go to the county hospital's emergency room, but if you get some inexperienced Dr. who doesn't give you meds and ongoing care, see another Dr....ASAP...OK? Hope that helps.  
  • Posted

Someone here mentioned go easy on the caffeine. My wife suffered with panic attacks for years until I realised coffee was the culprit. Then within a week I read about another lady who had suffered for 20yrs and identified coffee as the cause. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.