help I've been hit by major depression /anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am desperate for some help,since early Dec I have been hit by a major depression.I am finding that I am worried about absolutly everything from money ,state of my house,failure to have anything to provide for my daughters even as far as worrying about old age.over last couple of weeks things are spiraling in the sense of not sleeping barely eating,I'm also getting episodes of feeling my heart racing and just feeling totally panicked.last couple of days I don't even feel like I can face getting up as I then see everything is such a mess and that makes me feel even worse.I am desperate to feel better.my gp thinks this has all been triggered by a recent hospital admission for phneamonia during this admission all my medication for chronic back pain was changed leading to a nasty fall in shower and tempory worsening of back pain.back pain is more settled now but the depression and anxiety is awful I'm begging for some help

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

i cant really help you but i found my anxiety which i have only realised yesterday and today was from taking a medication and it give really bad anxiety i then got put in hospital and i came out with major depression and severe anxiety the depression will go its not going to go just like that iv had depression before but to the degree i had it i was so scared i was not myself and i was fighting to be back to normal but nothing worked i found however it wont work straight away but thinking back to happy meomeries maybe even writting them down and re-reading them i know it sounds silly but its something that i started doing before i went to sleep and suddenly even though my anxiety is really high and my depresion seems to slowly be creeping back but very slow enough to sort it again i acually woke up with a feeling a feeling like i used to normalness ! 

everybody has diffrent things i belive to help though so think back to something that used to make you happy and even though you dont feel like doing these things just thinking about them improves .

sorry if i have not been much help and i hope you feel better soon you can always go on meds aswell to try to help x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Mummypaula, it's very difficult to harness the mind. Last 3 weeks I've been dealing with leg tingles and obviously think it's something terrible. I find it goes away when I don't think about it. But once I think about it is back again. I'm 42 and in pretty good shape, but of course you enter your symptoms on the web and plenty of bad diseases and negative things pop up. Try to focus on good things and tell yourself you're ok. It may take awhile to go away. But if it's not an issue 24/7, you keep thinking positive. They're plenty of us out there so don't feel alone!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

try not to fight it, i iknow its hard but ive suffered 3 episodes now in my life (now 52) usually triggered by doing far too much not relaxing and taking time out and spiralling into depression then fit for nothing.  My advice like i said, focus on at least a good thing to do each day even if 15 mins yoga or walk in fresh air.  Talk about your feelings to process them and get suport.    Nothing in life is more important than your wellbeing. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi mummypaula

We have 3 things in common chronic back pain, pneumonia and depression!

My back started off as sciatica when i was 22. I had a disceptomy at 26 and unfortunatly my spinal cord was punctured during the op. Luckily i can still walk but ive been on painkillers for 20 yrs now. Ive stuggled with depression for yrs and i put that down to abuse i suffered in childhood. 2 yrs ago i nearly died of pnuemonia, weeks in intensive care and to crown it all off i can now add agraphobia to the list.

Where your meds changed due to the pnuemonia? Being on painkillers for so long has also given me a hiatus hernia. Have you got a pal that could help you with the house? I feel worse if house untidy but i no what a struggle it can be.

I hope you can get some help and remember you are not alone. x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi they decided to change my meds as said was having adverse affect on breathing even though had come off oxygen ect,they did an overnight sleep study and said I was not breathing enough????pain medication got halved then changed to a different kind,I then had one anti spasm med stopped and couple days later new one started but that did not agree with my liver so put back on origanal one,during all these changes I had the fall in hospital but no damage done,came hone and had a couple of horrendous weeks back pain slowly improved but now been hit with major depression.I have not got up for last few days.I desperetly need bath and hairwash.the house is a terrible mess but I can not bring myself to do anything.I feel dreadful and don't know what to do I feel like I'm in a mist
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi im glad to hear your physical pain at least has got better. I do no that morphine can slow down breathing. What way did they carry out the overnight sleep study?

I am asking this because i was taking 8 Dhydrocodiene a day for 17 yrs for my chronic back pain and when i was admitted with the phnumonia they started me on morphine and i have been on it  for 3 yrs now. I have also suffered asthma all my life and take steriod and ventolin inhalors.

If you had been taking pain relief for some time and it was all changed rather quickly this could certainly be why your so down. Take things slowly and even if you can just manage a bath tomorrow then youve done something. If things dont get any better maybe you should discuss with your doctor. 

Feel free to get in touch tommorow if you need to talk x

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up