Help IBS or ???

Posted , 4 users are following.

They told me about 6 years ago I had IBS cause I've always had abnormal bowels due to stress depression/anxiety. I've had so many symptoms but recently I've been having the dull pain under my ribs on the left side almost where chest bone is at. It goes down to the left abdomen and it feels so ugly... Idk if it's stress but it's so uncomfortable and I feel out of breath... I've seen a dr all bloodwork and stools normal... I had two stool tests done one by dr and one in ER and everything was normal . I have so much pain in my back ... But all over... Under my breast where my bones are at it hurts like sore or pulled muscle .. All this pain and no answers only stress. I have a dr appt with my gynocologist in about a week and with a gastro but not til June and it's so long from now. I feel like the breathing is cause of my anxiety and stress... It feels like someone's sitting on my chest . But the abdomen stomache area pain is frustrating. It's mostly left side next to belly button... Has anyone ever experienced this with IBS.... I know you guys aernt Drs but it gives me a little relief knowing if others have felt this.. At least til I see a professional

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you google a picture of abdominal organs, you'll see that the area you describe is where your stomach is. Not as low as your belly button, but yep, up high next to your lungs, under your ribs (behind) and on your left.

Since you have this diagnosis, you already know that stress will bring it on and make it worse...so...it's a vicious cycle! But, try TRY to relax...distract yourself with anything fun you can do!  Anything peaceful or just enjoyable in some way. 

When I have the breathing pain it's either acute, like a sharp pain that stops me from breathing in and I just have to wait it out, or it's from my bra & I take it off at the first chance I get (sorry if that's TMI). A warm/hot shower helps me (maybe a bath would be even better), too, or a heating pad.  I had it much worse, probably like yours, years ago and went for an ultrasound because I thought it was gallstones (my pain went around to my back, not as low as my navel), but it was clear!  It eventually went away but it was rough going, so I feel for you! sad  

HUGS!!

• Posted

I've been extremely stressed lately and I know stress can do so much to your body.. But until I see my gastro in June I have to wait and always think the worse .. I shouldn't because I've had abnormal bowels for years now but I guess with age and stress it makes it worse.. Thanks for the info... My whole back hurts and ribs and sharp pains... It's more scary than anything but again I know stress can do a lot
  • Posted

I get pain in my back and sometimes under my ribs on the left side plus stomach pain which is dull, deep grinding, stabbing or neuralgic.  The pain moves all over my stomach to the left, right side and middle.  The type of pain, severity and location varies sometimes from moment to moment.  Sometimes I get nausea and loose stools but mainly I have constipation. I was diagnosed with IBS.

Part of the bowel wraps round your back and under your ribs.  If you have IBS that is why some people get pain there.

• Posted

Yes I have so much pain... Even my upper back in the middle area hurts.... Just everywhere ...
  • Posted

Always check unusual presentations ie cardiac cause although not likely needs to be excluded. Your GP's should be onto this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.