Help Im terrified!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been taking Orlistat for two weeks now and a cou[le of times I have suffered the dreaded side effects and have been very glad I have been at home at the time. The thing is I have just had two weeks holiday (Not been anywhere nice) and I am due back to work on Monday. I work full time with teenagers and I am terrified that I might have an accident. I would never be able to live this down and am really worried. I thought about not having anything till I get home,but I know this would be very stupid.

I have decided to have some porridge for my breakfast with a banana. Do you think this would be ok. I just dont no what to have for lunch. I have been so happy whilst taking Orlistat and been very positive but now I am worring my self silly.

All replies welcome sad :run:

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Why not take a wholemeal sandwich? I have no reaction to the scraping of pure butter I make mine with....lettuce, toms....a little ham (but you should test this at home first to see the reaction) or an egg sandwich with a little extra light mayonnaise...some fruit....hope all that wouldn't be a problem but if you are not at all sure try it at home.
  • Posted

Hi quill drill

for luch I have been having soup, soup and more soup. You can get some nice versions in the supermarkets that are chunky but yet still low fat. I also have a wholemeal roll with a scraping of the lowest fat Flora that money can buy!

This is of course if you have access to a microwave to warm it up.

All the best with it - seriously if you are careful with what you eat and dont chance it with anything thats more than 4or5% fat im sure you will be ok.

• Posted

I really really sympathise - I bet we all have the same concern. The thing I try to remember is that it isn't a random side effect but the consequence of an action I control. What goes in comes out.

Prawns are very low fat ( less than ham) and make a good sandwich with wholemeal bread or a mixed salad - cheap at the moment too. If you want to stick to just fruit whilst you get your confidence, you might try the frozen prepared packs (Delmont or Tesco's own) of mixed exciting fruit - a bit of a treat because exotic, defrosts during the morning in your drawer, already prepared and light on both cals and fat.

• Posted

of course u will be worried but as long as u dont eat anything too fatty u will be fine. Ive been on them since nov and ive had a few accidents but all my own fault kfc at weekend with my son, but ive lost 2 half stone since nov and come on u must no what fatty food is, eat healthy is the way, there are alot of pr-packed meals like weight watchers and good for u meals out there i no i eat them everyday.
  • Posted

Thanks for all the support, I will let you know how it goes smile
  • Posted

Hantsgal....see the post about fat free treats a couple of posts down from here for my soup recipe....
  • Posted

I actually hadn't had any side effects the first couple weeks, but I was very very careful over what I ate. Then for my sister in-law's birthday we went to a portuguese restaurant... I had what I thought was the lowest fat stuff on the menu - king prawns (no butter) for starter, chicken espetadas for main (chicken chunks on a giant skewer hung from the ceiling) and no dessert.

Within an hour I was needing to rush home from the reaction... on something there must have been some butter - I think they put it on the chicken before the grill it, it had a garlic taste... It's really difficult to work out what will be fine and what won't.

For the first 6 weeks I was able to eat meals cooked with mince (lean butchers steak mince, with the fat drained off and simmered in water)... then, this last 2 weeks I've reacted every time I've had it. I think you just have to evolve with what you can and can't eat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.