Help.ive gained weught.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive had problem with my knee since february when i fell.went hospital who sent me to see consultant nxt day who told me i needed a total knee replacement but needed swelling to go down and to come back in 6 wk.while waiting i could walk hardly as my knee was that bad and was in agony and gainged 2 stone now i was a little overweight br this.went bak after u wk and was told by constltants young understdey that it was just my ostioarthritus (after looking at my ankles n not my knee)and would be ok after a wk but to cum back in another 6 wk.all this time im not able to get about so gaining more weight.went back after this time and sedn my original consultant who looked puzzled at y i hadnt had my knee done but made me an appointment for 1st of july to finaly have the op.im getting about alot better but still struggling and cant seem to loose the weight ive gained.ive tried to eat as healthy as my £200 a mth sick pay will let me but realy struggling.any one help plz.x

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi so have you had knee done or still waiting?? If you need to lose weight on a budget then put that in google, I have had 14 weeks none weight bearing and I put about 5kg on, I'm now partial weight bearing and lost most of it, try not to eat any junk food its actually dearer in the long run, chicken cooked with loads of veg and potatoes is healthy and will sustain you for hours, watch the bread and sweets or puddings.

I would put a couple of websites up but it just stops my posts.

If you can try to do gentle exercises even if done sitting down

• Posted

I had my op on the 1st julyn i do eat alot of veg and fruit n jacket potatoes wid either chicken or tuna.
    • Posted

That's good then, can get a bit boring I know but will get you there, remember now though that you are growing bone to repair area so don't cut calories down to much, and don't try to push yourself to hard, are you mobile now and fully weight bearing. Bet you feel better now your out of pain, I hope so, you should also be seeing PT, ask about hydrotherapy, its great for strengthening muscles and helping with weight loss.

Glad your on the mend

• Posted

I havnt seen my pt since 5wk post op as she said didnt need it n even b4 then i only seen them once when out of hospital.i was walking ok but past week its been painfull but consultant said everythings ok(seen him friday gone)its realy getting me down.ive tried a treadmill and a cross trainer but havnt got the energy to do anything and knee n calf still swelling when i walk about house.x
    • Posted

Oh dear they do seem to not really realise that we are not all the same, see if you can get your GP to get you into hydro, its brilliant and will I'm sure help with pain, if you have a local swimming baths give them a ring and see if they have sessions for recovery.

Are you icing your knee and elevating it, that will help with swelling, did pt leave you an exercise regime?

• Posted

We dont have a hydro near me and swimming pool is just school one that doesnt do recovery sessions n yeah i am ice n elevate and only thing pt said was just do the excercises hospital told u to do.its realy starting to get me down n i just seem to sit and cry.x
    • Posted

You really need to go and see your Dr, your emotional wellbeing is just as important as getting your knee sorted.

If your sad and unhappy then pain will feel even worse, you have had a long journey to get where you are so you need help to get back on track, please ask for help.

• Posted

Well im now on fluxitide for depression,codeine and diazipan so hopefully will sort me out.just need to get bak to work by feb or will bpaid off(been off since feb gone) or will lose £550 a mth.x

• Posted

I'm really glad your Dr has seen fit to treat not just your pain but your emotions as well, has he given you just codeine or cocodamol, cause codeine doesn't work that well on its own, are you in UK??

• Posted

Hi Janice,

Ugh! Me too!

But I have traveled this road before. You had a lot of anesthesia and painkillers both slow things down.

And right down your body is wonky.

If you eat correctly, when you are back up on your feet, it will come off.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

So you are just over 4 months post op. 

Are you walking with no aids at all (no stick even) ?

I had TKR 4 and a half years ago.

Had physio for 3 months.

It does take a while to recover.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.