Help leg longer after surgery, creaking

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had total knee done in April, total hip done in Sept.  Hip is awesome.  My surgery side, right, is now longer than my left side. Causing me to limp and mabe cause more problems with my back.   I have pain with extensions of my knee but not when I walk.  My knee creaks with every step.  Also numbness in thigh.  Can any one point me in the right directions for these ailments.   Would appreciate any helpful hints and or simular circumstances.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear this I had TKR end of September awful pain and problems walking I did all my exercises but I ended up going to a private physical therapy guy he worked on my leg for an hour went back the following week got fantastic results pain much less still can’t walk very far yet but he was well worth the 

Money he massages the leg helps the muscles totally worth trying 

• Posted

Numbness is natural for a long time after
  • Posted

Both legs done TKR. The numbness is normal keep messaging the numb area with e45 cream or similar. Work on the physio and extensions. It will all improve with time my left TKR is 10 months and still have odd days of numbness if I do too much. My right leg TKR 3 weeks so too soon to worry about numbness. Remember nerves are cut muscles are stretched etc. Surgeon does the operation. Patient does the long term hard work. Together it's a success?

• Posted

LTKR May 2017 my left leg is now stronger and straighter but my right knee needs replacement so is shorter due to pain on extending. Temporarily, to walk better I got extra depth sneakers and put extra padding in the right sneaker to compensate for the leg shortness, it makes walking easier on my knees and back. 
  • Posted

"My surgery side, right, is now longer than my left side."  Maybe...maybe not.  It is not uncommon for us with hip and knee replacements (I've had both) to change our gait as we walk to avoid pain.  This can cause a misalignment of hips and pelvis making it look like one side is "longer/shorter" than the other.  I had a 1/2" difference after my knee was done.  PT did the measurement and it was confirmed by my chiropractor.  A few weeks later I was all aligned and everything was perfect.

We hear of people going out and spending lots of money on custom orthotics and shoes when the problem is really pelvic tilt.  Save the bucks...go see a good chiropractor and be rid of the pain. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.