Help me figure this one out.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've always suffered from slight anxiety in situations. For example in supermarkets if somone is in the way and I'm trying to pass or if I feel I am in somone else's way.

I work in a nightclub and have no issue being arou d people but if there is somone standing still close to me stressed. Worse if people stop in a few places arou d me so I'm almost surrounded.

I went to a pet store and it was really tight. Quite hot too. My kids seemed to be standing under my feet and everywhere I went they seemed to go and stand in my way so I got quite anxious. Had to walk away to a corner and breath slowly.

On a plane 18 months ago I was sat in the middle of 2 men. Felt hot. Uncomfortable. Took my top off. Couldn't really shake it. Ended up having a panic attack. Hyperventilating the full works. Had to get put to sleep with drugs by the air hostess

On a day to day basis everything is fine but as soon as anything I've described happens I just feel anxiety build up like a rumble inside me.

Besides being On a plane I can always get myself out of the situation so it's cool but I would really like to put a label on it. Clostraphobia of some sort? Although I'm ok in lifts and stuff.

I hope there's somone who can help me out here?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds very much like Agoraphobia. Usually wherein someone percieves the situation/environment as being dangerous or there being no easy way out, causing that person to feel trapped and bringing on the panic attack.

• Posted

I agree you have claustrophobia. I have the same problem too. That's the way I feel around people I feel like I can't breathe I'm suffocating and need to leave.  Being inside a vehicle with all  the windows closed gives me a panic attack too. I feel I'm suffocating and will end up breaking the windows to get out. I have Agoraphobia and I ended going out to store after years. I felt horrible. Too much people started to come to the aisle we were in. So I started walking farther away from them I can't be near people I feel like I'm dying. I sometimes ended up leaving the places. Hope this somewhat helped.

I also have Social Anxiety, GAD. Sounds like Social Anxiety and Claustrophobia. I'm not a doctor though. Take Care Hope you get better👍

• Posted

Thanks for your replies.

I was considering small spaces yesterday because it seemed to be similar circumstances when I don't have much room but then the thought of being in my wardrobe for example doesn't bother me.

People getting stopping close to me limiting my escape or space seems to be accurate when I think about it. So agoraphobia it could be.

I got dragged along to the asda today by the wife and had a couple of moments where I had to walk out the way. Try not to look at people who where walking around me and take deep breaths so I am always able to get out of the way before it manifests into something nasty.

I keep doing her head in. I get the feeling she just thinks I'm inpatient or grumpy. Must sound mad to anyone that I have these thoughts but at the same time I'm a bar manager in a busy bar in a city centre. walking through the bar doesn't have any affect on me.

I am going to ring the doctor and see if I can get some clarity. Thank you guys so much for you help.

Hope you too feel better soon

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel as I will no longer go to the grocery store when it's busy.

Terrible to say, but it's not only a cart too close behind me..but if someone is walking behind me in heels and is too close; I just move over and let them pass!!

Same thing in an office where you have to wait. One woman sat down in the only chair left in the office and you can't believe how uncomfortable I felt. I got up to get a drink of water thinking I'd get called soon; went to the bathroom thinking I'd get called soon, etc; yet there was no way I was going to sit right next to that very nicely dressed, nice woman.

Personal space..and my anxiety has me by the throat many times as I just can't breathe when people don't respect personal space.

I'm sure guys get it as when they use the Men's bathroom..they'll never "go" next to the other guy..nor will women take the stall next to someone else unless they have to.

My husband has told me more than funny stories about him being in a full Men's room with one urinal open..and he chose to pee outside next to his Jeep. He also told me stories about guys that would rather pee in the sink than pee next to someone else.

LOL!!

I haven't ridden in a plane for years, but I can tell you that if I sat in the middle of two people; I too would probably have an anxiety/panic attack. I've been there and felt like I was going to go nuts not being able to move my feet while being squished between so many people!!

I can't sit in a back seat either as my claustrophobia kicks in. One time I had to ask a friend to stop the car so I could sit in front...another time I ended up sitting behind the passenger and asking if she could pull her seat up all the way. I go stark raving nuts when my feet are confined; which is one of the reasons I don't fly..along with driving with others. We take out own vehicle.

Even if someone sits on my feet for a minute, I get crazy, Just one of numerous mental things I suffer from. I'm a real basket case.

What helps me the most grahamrimmer is Gabapentin and Lorazepam as, working together, they settle me down and I'm able to get past the anxiety that bothers me at the time. They've been a godsend as I can finally start to deal with the things I couldn't before

Hope sharing all this with you helps.

Blessings.

• Posted

Thank you Katie. Plenty of similarities to what you have described just feel good that I can finally put a label on it.

It's been difficult not knowing the cause

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.