Help me please

Posted , 6 users are following.

So basically 2 weeks ago on Wednesday i decided to go on a binge I’m not a big drug person and have only done it a few times I decided to take cocaine and drink throughout the night with some friends I’ve only ever done cocaine 4 to 5 times when I was younger I’m not a big drug user and believe me this experience I’m having has put me off for life the next day after doing the drug I felt completely anxious and depressed the worst kind I’ve had to take 3 weeks off work but the past 2 days I’ve been having OCD type thoughts horrible thoughts of my loved ones things I would never do but my mind won’t let these horrible thoughts go and because I want them to go so much they worsen and persist in my mind which also triggers the anxiety and depression seen my gp they prescribed citalopram I feel so scared and worried about this will I ever be Normal again please will somebody give me some advice I’m 23 male p.s haven’t taken meds yet I’m waiting to see a physchologist 

0 likes, 130 replies

Report / Delete

130 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow your afraid to take celexa ..but you did cocaine..with liquor...you definitely need the phycologist and a phychiatrist..hope it all resolves..
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Drugs taken once or many times …….. they’re extremely dangerous and sadly as you’ve discovered it can cause depression and anxiety, or worse ........

Anxiety often starts as a result of stress - its an outpouring of adrenaline, and the feeling of anxiety can then cause you to be afraid of it, which then causes more anxiety.  The thoughts are a side effect of anxiety - without anxiety those thought won’t be there.  The thoughts of course cause you distress and more anxiety - and the anxiety causes the thoughts.  Chicken and egg scenario.  They will go as the anxiety eases.

Understand for now that the anxiety will be with you for a while - you can’t get rid of it overnight.  But it will go in time.

I know those thoughts - I had similar.  This isn’t the real you - its anxiety thats doing it.

Citalopram will help - but don’t expect to be well by next week.  It can take many months before you start seeing results - and you won’t feel like they’re workng for a while - but they are in the background.  The meds often increase symptoms in the first few weeks, but this is quite normal and they do settle down.  During recovery the anxiety will ease up and worsen but this is how the meds and recovery seems to work.  You can’t avoid it and doesn’t matter what dose you take you’ll still get the same.

Sadly a lesson learnt - just don’t take drugs ever again  - it really isn’t worth jeopardising your health.  Could be worse next time.

K x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi just wanted some support very scared but I have taken my first tablet of a 10 mg dose any advice would be much appreciated I hope this works for me as today I’ve been advised by the mental health team to take them and my mother has also told me I should if I feel like I need to 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

What ever you do stay away from doctor Google...that's my first advise my phychiatrist gave me..and stay away from the negative comments from any type of forum...there are trolls every where on the net with sketchy information...take care..this forum is the most helpful..it help me and here iam recovered on ten milligrams...

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thats good olly well done

You will be on the road to recovery soon . I hope everything goes ok for you im sure it will stay positive i was on 10mg up to 20mg when i had a reaction to antibiotics i was on sent my anxiety through the roof i am on my 5th week now back at work still getting mild side effects but a lot better than i was x There is a light at the end of the tunnel Olly hang on in there

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Glad your back at work I’m currently off work struggling to get out of the house am hoping to get back to work next week but might need to take some more time off as the meds start to take effect 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

We have all been there believe me try not to fight the side effects do breathing exercises and as i have said down load an app for anxiety x It is easier said than done when you are at your worse and you feel like there is never an end to it but there is and one day it will be a distant memory .
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Olly

Its best to take your meds at the same time each day - doesn't matter morning or evening, just what suits you.  You may get side effects which are headache, nausea, heightened anxiety (oh yay) ....., shivering, insomnia ........ but these do wear off over the weeks / months.

Don't be in a rush to increase the meds - a bigger dose doesn't make you better any quicker.  Just go with what you've got now, and 10mg is a nice dose to start with.

Try and relax, even when you move around.  Let go of tension in your body.  You won't get rid of the anxiety and thoughts, so just relax and let them be there.  It will be uncomfortable, but tensing / fighting this is not the way to go.  At the moment your body is tense, and has taken quite a 'knock'.  Those nerves are crying out to relax which is turn helps with the anxiety.  You won't stop the anxiety but over time your body will begin to ease which helps immensely.  

Also its good to go out for a walk daily.  Exercise helps burn excess adrenaline.  Being outside amongst nature too is very therapeutic.  

Both these help whilst you wait for the meds to work.

Agree with Lois - don't trawl the internet looking for answers because its pointless and you just end up reading the negative stories.  Just trust in the meds and keep in touch on this forum.

I've been through anxiety / depression plus meds and so did my son too (totally different decades).  Both of us recovered.

Oh .... and don't ever just stop the meds (cold turkey).  These need to be weaned off slowly because they can make you feel quite poorly.

Just go slowly with everything - even slow yourself down.  You will get over this.

K x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Michelle I will try my best to cope while this medication takes effect just want to be my normal self again I’m a total mess at the moment head is full of worry and horrible thoughts that won’t go away it’s a nasty feeling 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you so much katecogs your very very supportive and it means a lot I’m going through such a horrible time at the moment and it’s nice to hear that I’m not alone I hope to get through these next few weeks good and well I’m going to go out for a walk now even though I don’t want to thank you x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It is a tough journey recovering on the meds, but just accept whatever is thrown at you for now and know its anxiety playing its tricks on you.

You will get through this.

wink

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks katecogs been a great help today hope you don’t mind me posting for the next few weeks until I feel better just for the support it helps me at the moment x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Also wanted to ask would it help to go back to work or should I wait until meds start to work? sorry I’m asking a lot of questions 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

And also wanted to ask is it ok to smoke cigarettes on this medication or will the meds not work properly if I smoke ? Should I quit whilst on the meds? I do want to quit eventually but it’s a comfort for me at the moment 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I couldnt have gone back to work the first 2 weeks but after that i started going in for part of the day .This week ive managed to do 2 full days i had a bit of a wobble today but managed to stay . I slept alot to begin with as well i had councelling and what he said made sense its scary but with practice you can face your fears.

When you get the physical symptoms go with it acknowledge them deep breathe in through your nose out through your mouth. When you go bed get all your negative thoughts out of your head then imagine how you would like your life to be really focus .Keep doing that every night even right a journal everynight your feelings etc it all helps x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Michelle I will be going to bed soon so I will give it a try as for work I will go back the week after next hopefully will feel a lot better by then will keep you all updated hope we can all speak tomorrow have a feeling I will be struggling but will try my best to stay positive 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Its entirely up to you about returning to work or not.  Some people prefer to be amongst people and yet other just cannot face being with people - and some just physically can't as they're so exhausted.

When my son wasn't well he couldn't work to 4 months and his workplace were really good.  When he returned, he still wasn't well and he was given lighter duties.  It took a long time for him to recover, but he did it.

But see how you are - take the time off if you need it because it is physically draining too.  When I wasn't well I found it so hard to get out of bed (because mornings are often the worst when you have anxiety) and sometimes I stayed home.  When I pushed myself to go to work I'd often find being busy and amongst people felt better for me, and yet other days I struggled at work.  Everyone's different.

Often other people won't see you as ill so will not understand at all - if they can't 'see' an illness then they don't understand the suffering that goes on inside, so its quite common for them not to sympathise.  In fact the only people who know how this feels is us.

The meds may take a lot longer than you think too.  It took until around 3 months for me to notice small signs and it was 6 months until I'd recovered.  Please don't worry about that timescale as its personal for each person, and it could be quicker for you or it could be longer.  It'll take as long as it wants personally for you.  Think of it like a broken bone - that will take time to heal along with the muscles and tendons too, and you'd be quite accepting of that ..... so can take equally as long.  Just don't try and force it.

K

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeh not a lot of people understand it’s hard to explain these situations to people and the horrible thoughts in my head is what seems to be bothering me the most which is making me so very anxious and depressed a nasty circle but talking to people that have had or are having the same experiences really helps I was very confused and worried I still am but I’m not so confused now will try to get some rest now and will hopefully hear from you all tomorrow and thanks again katecogs x
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up