Help !! medication worries :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi

ive been depressed for a few years now and have been on 40mg of citalapram for the past 2 years with little sucess

so my doctor decided to switch my medication to venaflaxine i went from 40mg citalapram to 20mg in one week then started on 75mg of venaflaxine for 3 days but suffered a reaction

so my doctor has now put me on sertraline 50mg

within 2 weeks ive had all these different medicatons and i really feel awful not only is my depression worse than ever i also feel nauseous dizzy and have fainted a few times in the last 2 days

should my doctor have switched my medication so much within a short period of time or is my body just struggling to come to terms with the new medication ?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Personally I believe with all these meds that you should taper off them gradually, so it doesn't surprise me that you're having problems!

Not sure what to suggest now except to seek further professional help!

• Posted

sorry to here about your medication it will just take little bit more time to get out of your system but if you still feel bad please go back and see the doctor 
  • Posted

thank you smile maybe i should wait a few days more on the sertaline and if nothing improves then go back to my doctor smile
  • Posted

What was the reaction to Venlafaxine to make your GP swap after such a short time. I'm only asking because I reacted to mirtazapine after being on fluoxetine for 6 years. My legs and feet became very swollen and all my muscles ached. I told my GP after 4 weeks but he told me to stay on  and see him a month later at which point he then changed me to Venlafaxine. I have been ok on Venlafaxine.
    • Posted

Hi Diane

My tongue and throat swelled and I lost the feeling in my lips and face :-(

• Posted

I understand now why he swapped them because of the risk to your breathing. Sorry to hear you had such a severe reaction. My limited medical knowledge suggest maybe you should stay on the current medication a bit longer providing it is not putting you at risk of serious complication. Hopefully things will settle as your body adjusts to the medication. Good luck
  • Posted

My name is very like yours on here.  Hope people don't mix us up as I am in a very different place to you. 

I have been on many different anti depressants over the twenty plus years I have had depression.  Like you had side effects from some of them. 

When we first go onto anti depressant, as you are aware, we usually feel worse before we feel better.  Our body has to get used to the new medication. 

You were withdrawn from Venlafaxine too quickly, so I suspect what you are feeling now is the withdrawals from that, as it is a very difficult anti depressant to stop without side effects.  Hopefully they will gradually subside.  Your body has had a lot to contend with over these last few weeks.  Yes I do believe your body is just struggling to cope with all the changes of medication. 

I know you were not onVenlafaxine very long, so possibly it is not withdrawals from that.  Perhaps your body is just adjusting to taking Sertraline, and you are just feeling worse before you feel better.  Not good that you fainted.  I would ask your doctor if this is a side effect of changing medication, or that Sertraline just does not suit you.

Let us know how you get on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.