Help!! My knee today has been going backwards?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Oh this is a hard one to explain... I am 21 days post op and things seemed to be going in the right direction until today.  Just a few minutes ago I experienced this for the third time today.  When I am just standing still... My knee has felt like its moved backwards where I almost fall.  A good example would be instead of bending my knee at the front it has bent on its own in the back.  There was no pain but it has freaked me out... Almost like being double jointed is a good way to describe it... Please tell me I'm not a freak....

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You need to build up your quadriceps. They help hold the device in place. I have a similar issue and had fallen prior to major quad rebuilding. Ask your physio for exercises. Or YouTube them.
    • Posted

I start my first physio next Tuesday... I can't believe I'm saying it but I wish it would get here faster... So many questions..

• Posted

Not unusual....ligaments, tendons, muscles are all weak and out of condition. You have to continue to need conditioning the entire leg with special emphasis on the quads. One thing to keep in mind at all times, this recovery is not a lineal process, its up and down, backwards and forwards. Run the nerves start their healing and that really drives you nuts. You get through on phase and move on when suddenly the pain starts all over again. It may go away in a couple days then again may last 2 or 3 weeks. I've been through 5 complete rehab after 11 surgeries on my left leg/knee which includes have 3 different prosthesis made by different different manufacturers. Don't be discouraged and don't let the unusual frighten you.

• Posted

What did you end up with in your knee? I just asked my surgeon and I have an Attune knee! It certainly feels good ...really settling in! 😊

• Posted

Thank you so much... So far I have been very lucky with my recovery...but then yesterday I woke up with my knee so swollen (and again today)... I haven't had any swelling problems since the first week..  Then that weird hyper extension yesterday just freaked me out.  You are so encouraging??

• Posted

One other thing..3 weeks is too soon to be used as any kind of gauge. 6 weeks should be the bare minimum for any kind of benchmark or guideline.
  • Posted

?Don't worry, that happened to me all the time. Your muscles are weak and take time to build up. Keep up the exercises and it will get better in time. You don't want to fall though, so use stick/crutch, or two.

I used two crutches for any walking over ten minutes even at 12 weeks...My quadriceps were very weak and took a while to activate properly. My personal feeling was I wanted to give the muscles a chance to build up first before putting more pressure on the joint and also I found my gait much better using two. It was also possible to walk faster with two crutches/sticks. Which was rather exciting at that stage!

I could only walk a tiny weeny bit in the house, literally a few minutes, with no stick or crutch at 8 weeks. I used one around the house for what seemed like ages. My physiotherapist urged me to stick with two crutches for as long as I felt I needed them, and I didn't see the point in causing myself needless pain. Instead I focused on improving range of motion and decreasing swelling more than dispensing with support. Then, after starting leg strengthening exercises at around 9 weeks, ie weights on legs, very mini squats, etc. I built up more strength and increased walking duration. At 3 months things really turned a corner. But everyone is different.

Take a look at my profile and skim through my blog if it helps. It was written to convey the need for patience, something our cultures in the western world are not really geared up to!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

This could be another one of my problems... I may have put too much confidence in myself and had only been using one crutch around the house for about a week and a half now... I think I was probably putting all my weight all the time on that poor defenceless knee...
    • Posted

😆 that knee will be powerful and be able to give quite a kick in a few months time! Using plenty of support reduces pain too! It was a blow to my ego, but worth going slow...

• Posted

Thank you Jenny and everyone else... You have relieved my mind so much... I lost almost a full nights sleep...  ❤️❤️
  • Posted

Hi Bomber50, don't worry this is normal.  It will improve.  21 days is very early in this.  You'll have times when you're improving and you'll have times you'll be concerned and hurting differently.  Don't worry.  Had my 1st knee done TKR 18 months ago, and 2nd, about 8 weeks ago.  You may also get pain where it feels like jabbing pain, but that's the nerves knitting back up.  Then again, you may not.  You may also go through surges of "wow, this feels better", a lot of us have.  Hang in there you'll get there.

• Posted

You described it bang on as to what I'm feeling.  Thank you...

• Posted

Hi I had this!! and its because your leg is not completley straight. They seem to make you concentrate on the ben but do not check that its completley straight. It is easily resolved. Sit on the bed and push your knee into the mattress hold down and keep on doing it. It will hurt a bit at the beginning.

Hope this helps

• Posted

I read where someone said do quad exercises. It's actually hamstring exercises. The hamstrings are what helps keep the knee from bending backwards. The quads actually "encourages" that movement.

What was the original injury/procedure that you had done?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.