Help!! Need advice re: mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi, please help any advice is welcome..

For as long as I can remember I have suffered with depression and anxiety.

(Didn't realise I had severe anxiety until about 2 weeks ago) . Had a really bad depressive episode about 3-4 weeks ago and was convincing myself I had serious mental illnesses. Any way this got really bad and I saw a doctor who diagnosed me with depression and anxiety. As I wasn't sleeping (5 nights I was prescribed mirtazapine. I have been on 15mg for 16 nights and already I feel so much better, calmer and am able to sleep. My depression is also a lot better. I have had no noticeable side effects from the meds apart from weight gain. A whole stone in 16 days..

I really feel down and extremely anxious about this part as I like being slim. Anyways I am considering swapping mirtazapine to citalopram. But don't know the best way to go about it and also have heard some bad thing about cit. I am worried about not being able to sleep without the mirt.

Please help me as I don't know what to do. I really don't want to put on weight. As I am 100 percent sure this will increase my depression which will then increase my anxiety.

Please send me some advice. Thanks xx

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi yep its a difficult one!...i have been on paroxetine for anxiety and depression and also propranolol for anxiety symptoms for years...they have helped me a lot. i would go to the GP and talk to him about your worries as he may be able to change your anxiety med to propranolol which wont put your weight up. incidentally when my "nerves" were really bad i was skin and bone and as soon as i started to feel better i began to put weight on it may not be the drugs? just that you are relaxing more so not running a high metabolic rate now. (nervous energy)..im not a doc but i wouldnt go on Citalopram if you value your sex life. My bloke went on it and has lost all interest in it. go to the discussion on here about "citalopram" and you will see many reports of this problem. hope ive helped in some way? smile best wishes
  • Posted

Thank you so much for replying biggrin

Will go see my doctor tomorrow and see about proxatine. Will that help with the anxiety as well as the depression? But what about the sleeping issue?? Will it also work with that! Really don't want to be going down the sleeping tablet route ( as they are addictive))

The mirt is Deffo the reason behind the weight gain there's no way I would have put on a stone in just over two weeks. Iv always been slim.

I have heard about the bad stuff with cit ( that's what they gave me first but quickly changed it to mirt coz of the anxiety and mainly the sleeplessness.

Could you tell me the side effects from the one your using? Always feel them leaflets gloss over the truth.

Thank you so much x

• Posted

I have been taking mirtazapine for depression for five years 45mg. Mirtazapine seems to be more frequently used to help people sleep in the lower doses. It is not usually much good for anxiety though. It has the unwanted side effect of craving carbohydrates and sweet sugary foods. The only consolation is that with long term use it does not cause weight gain. If and when you decide to come off mirtazapine ( and it needs to be done very slowly) you will lose the weight that you have gained. I hope that you are able to decide what is the best course of action for yo
  • Posted

Thanks for replying. smile

I'm having a nightmare couldn't get the doctors today so still taking mirt.. Don't know weather that's a good thing or not.

The weight gain is really a big issue and it's making me anxious ( not actually having panic attacks thought. As I was a few weeks ago over things ( maybe that's the mirt keeping me calm??? )

I know your not a doctor and tht everyone is different but could u tell me your opinion on this please:

Iv been put in 15 mg and I'm not sure if I need it any higher most probably stay on 15 ( if I decide to stay on mirt) but how long will I continue to put on weight?? Will it stop once my body is used to the meds.

Lots of people have said I look much better with a bit of weight . So was starting to think that maybe it ain't such a bad thing. But a again it then get anxious and nervous about it just continueing and continueing and never stopping as long as I'm taking it.

I am my own worst enemy but I Deffo do not want to keep puting on weight .

Sorry to ramble on I'm grateful for your reply.

How are you getting on with mirt ? Have you had any side effects? X

• Posted

Sorry that last bit didnt make any sence.

Was asking if u knew whether the weight gain would just keep continuing while I'm taking mirt or whether it will stop once my body is used to the meds??

Thanks for your advice. X

• Posted

Unfortunately I don't know that answer regarding your weight gain. It will slow down but will only stop if you discontinue mirtazapine. My weight has stabilised but it has taken some considerable effort ie diet and exercise. 15mg is fine if you are only taking mirtazapine for sleep. Higher doses are not so sedating. Mirtazapine is not usually much use for anxiety. I still find mirtazapine useful and take it in combination with lithium and have done this for five years. The mirtazapine boosts the efficacy of the the lithium.
  • Posted

Hi again don't just stop mirtazapine cold turkey as it could make you very unwell. If you are going to come off it do it slowly with your doctors supervision.
  • Posted

Hi there, sorry to hear you are struggling to settle on the best option.

I have been looking to post about my experience with Mirtazapine in a positive way wherever anyone will listen as i believe it really is in a league of its own.

Your main issue seems to be with not so much the effectiveness but the side effect of weight gain. However it is not that weight is gained from simply taking the drug but the appetite stimulation and sometimes being hungry quicker and for longer. This drug has no effect on your bmr.

It is controlled by you being very aware of this at all times. As for the success with Mirt, I have tried at least one from each generation of antidepressants and i can without doubt say this (for me) is the mosteffecttive by a country mile. I understand everyone is neurologically different but i do believe you would bevery lucky if any other comes close in onset of action time (48hrs in my case and still building 1 month later) and the fact it stimulates production of transmitters rather than just inhibition of circulating amounts

Please feel free to ask me anything you feel may help you, I have been there and lost with it all too at times.

Kind regards,

Stuart.

• Posted

My hunger decreased after about a month or so, and I returned to my normal weight, I hope this will apply to you - it may not, it's just my experience.

Best from Dav

• Posted

Well said Dav. Yes it is hunger not the drug that makes fat deposits out of thin air. People forget this about anany med. Comfort eating or starving yourself can happen when you are crippled with Depression/Anxiety. If it is not for you regarding what you had it prescribed for ok but please give it a chance if not. I have gone from. Tca's to Ssri's with everything from Buspirone to propanolol and everything in between. Also have a look into Prregabalin it is more effective than lorazepam and is barely mentioned as an adjunct.

It really does work and it is unique in its pharmacology.

• Posted

The Mirtazapine I meant. Pregabalin works when you have a wobble.

Hope this helps you.

• Posted

Am very grateful for your advice thanks for replying smile

Yes you are completely right my issue is with the side effects rather than the actually med- been on it for about 19 days now and already I feel like the oldme. ( over the years I have tried many different anti depressants. And I agree with you when u say that mirt is Deffo the best by far. Unfortunately it does have the worst side effects ( for me) with all the others I actually lost weight and suffered with sleeplessness. So stopped them on my own And never resolved my depression. This was Deffo the cause of the big outburst a few weeks ago.

I am how ever still very anxious and nervy about the weight issue, if it don't stop.. I have also heard that mirt causes hair loss too!! So I'm waiting to see if that happens ;( ( hope it dnt)

See I am my own worst enemy ( I worry far to much )

Have you's had any side effects from mirt or any other meds ??

Thanks for your help. X

• Posted

Hi Sarah no probs.

What caused the outburst?

Add up the Pro's and cons and what is your conclusion.

I am a phd qualified nutritionist, diet I can help you with but you need to decide if Mirtazapine is for keeps?

• Posted

Hi,

To be honest I have no idea I have suffered with depression and anxiety for many many years. 20 years since I was a kid but as iv always had them always believed it was normal. And never mentioned it.

Never even knew what anxiety was until a few weeks ago. When I was U well I really believed I had a serious mental illness ( not saying depression isn't serious) it bloody well is and coupled with anxiety it's a living nightmare.

I just hope meds sort my head out. I just need to stay on one and stop changing and stopping them. But I am. worried about the side effects. ( mostly weight gain and hair loss. )

• Posted

You will be fine just look forward to better days and give it a chance.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up