Help need some comfort and advice

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello every Friday or Saturday  for the last 5 weeks I get chills and very shaky flu like symptoms some times I have to wee a lot or get the urge to wee. Then my stomach starts lose my appetite and just feel so unwell. My GP has said this is caused by the menopause does anyone else  have recuring symptom ?  It was getting me down so am on day 4 of sertrline 50mg having side affects with that as well. I feel so down and fed up. Will the sertriline stop these side affects ? I am nearly 53 not had a period for many years, had lots of blood test done all came back normal. Just want my life back. Felt so well yesterday afternoon. Feel back to square 1.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenny your not on your own love. I'm 50 and been going through menapause a few years. I have many symptoms and I'm on hrt x

• Posted

Hello Karen thank you your reply what symptoms have you had ? I wish I never started the sertriline now should have got HRT. Is there effects with that as well ? x
    • Posted

Hi Jenny sertraline I had to stop because I have stomach reflux and it made it ten times worse. I have dizziness, feeling sick on a morning when I first wake up, always hot. I'm on hrt conti patches, havebno side effects, been on a year now and it. does help x

• Posted

Odd that it is on those days. Anyway, it is anxiety probably. Those are the symptoms. Perhaps connected to menopause even if you are post. I began similar symptoms but daily a few weeks ago, after countless health issues and I am nervous about health issues when they pop up. I have been doing these sleep hypnosis YouTube videos daily , just search and see what suits you and after a few days I definitely feel a difference. I am also going to do cognitive behavioral therapy. I was also started on a super low dose of Xanax but want off, so I am doing all u can, including no caffeine. Give it some thought. Harmless to try. But daily for a while, not just once. Hope it helps you. Physical exercise that makes you sweat also gets rid of that cortisol and adrenal...
  • Posted

Jenny,

What you have is probably a UTI that reocurs.  Many women do not get the classic sypmptoms of UTI's, especially older women.  I'm 68, and I don't get them.  Just feel as though I have the flu.  

You need to get your urine sampled and cultured to see what kind of bacteria you have. And I suggest you get a new gp, as any doctor that doesn't know the other symptoms of UTI, especially in older women, isn't much of a doctor.  

• Posted

Well, my suggestion is that you get an order for the urine test and take it when you're noticing the symptoms--because you could be having a periodic overgrowth of bacteria.  That might catch it more effectively.

• Posted

Dear Jenny

Im.two years post meno but the other day felt hot and nauseous just like I did with the hot flushes before and real achy shoulders, I think we are all different in how and when our symptoms strike and I dont think there is a written rule how it is meant to be as we are all different. It does get me down because I thought Oh thats that. I have had my symptoms and they wont come back. I have also started getting dry eyes again and allergies after a period of nothing!

• Posted

Hi pinkcatfairy I to suffer with dry eyes now, got some drops from my dr x
    • Posted

Hello Karen

Yes its a symptom which seems to come and go I will have to get some if it continues x

• Posted

All these symptoms really get you down 😟 I need some advice as well . The doctor has advised me to wean myself off my 10mg dose of citalopram that I have been on for a year and a half. I started it shortly after losing my mum and starting all these symptoms and anxiety . I will be 50 next month and still have regular , heavy periods . I'm just worried how I am going to feel after as I shall have withdrawal symptoms to add to my peri , but I don't want to be on antidepressants for any longer then I have to be . They really were a lifeline for me . Has anyone come off them whilst in peri ? I've heard that St. John's wort is a good natural alternative to antidepressants . Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Posted

I tried sertraline(Zoloft). It was a horrible experience. It felt like I had the worst flu ever! I was shaky, had a horrible headache, and just felt crazy. It also makes some people lose their sex drive and gain weight. I was told that you have to wait four to six weeks for it to work. But the symtoms are so bad. If you already feel like crap why would you want to take something that makes you feel worse before you feel better?
  • Posted

Hi jenny

I can relate to everything you are going through so please don't think you are alone in all of this. I am 51 and haven't had a period for 6 years. I thought I had sailed through the menopause and was out the other side! How wrong I was. About a year ago i started to have panic attacks and anxiety. After my dad being in hospital for a week I became really anxious with all of the symptoms you describe. I ended up having 5 weeks off work and like you ended up on sertraline. I took one 50mg tablet and felt absolutely terrible. I called the docs and was advised to take half a tablet for a few days to get the tablets into me gradually. I ended up on 25 mgs for 5 weeks in the end. I did have some horrible side effects and admit my symptoms did get a little worse before I gradually started to feel better. I went up to the 50mg dose after the 5 weeks and gradually I got better. I also take Kliovance HRT. I am now a year down the line and the majority of the time I'm absolutely fine.

Although I haven't had a period for 6 years I still get symptoms every month. I get the bloated tummy, dragging pains in my womb area and also a little bit jittery and very mild anxiety. I'm not sure whether it is the

Sertaline or the HRT but I no longer have panic attacks and feel so much calmer than last year.

I really do think sertraline and HRT have helped me so much but you will have a few weeks of feeling "rough" whilst the sertraline takes effect. Try halving the tablets for a few days (or weeks) until you feel ready to up the dose. Try and stick with it though as it does sound as though you are anxious and the tablets will really help you. I was also prescribed Lorazepam whilst the sertraline took effect and whilst i only ever took a quarter of a tablet at a time when I felt really bad these really helped me.

I am now nearly one year into Sertaline and HRT and like I say most of the time I'm absolutely fine and back to normal. Like a lot of ladies on here I don't like taking medication but have to be realistic and know that whilst I am still feeling jittery every few weeks I need the medication to let me lead my life. I also go for long walks with the dog and go to the gym about 3 times a week (if I feel like it). Life's good again.

Please use this forum as much as possible as you will see we are all in the same boat. We may have different symptoms to each other but we have all gone through the mill and it really really helps to know you are not alone in any of this.

Sorry this is such a long reply but hopefully you will see there's light at the end of the tunnel and you will feel better - you just need to take it slowly and look after yourself. I have also given up caffeine and drink camomile tea at breakfast and Macha green tea during the day. I try and eat healthily (apart from the chocolate bar I've just devoured!!!).

If there are any other post menopausal ladies reading this it would be lovely to hear from you and to hear whether you still get symptoms every month even though you don't have periods?

Hang on in there Jenny things will definitely get back to normal just know you are not on your own and lots and lots of us can relate to where you are now xx

• Posted

Thanks for the great post. I just don't know why this anxiety hits us but it does and it's good to know I'm not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.