Help needed

Posted , 4 users are following.

My partner stopped taking mirtazapine almost 3 weeks ago and he's feeling horrendous and really depressed that he won't get better. I've tried reassuring him and to be honest I'm getting worried. He was on the tablets for about 2 months. Any advice is absolutely welcome.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I was on them for a while and had to be weaned off them because if you suddenly stop you can have some adverse affects.

Thanks

Neil

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

He was weaned off them as recommended by his gp.

He's in his 3rd week now and has heard that the peak is between weeks 3 and 4. After this you start to taper off. Just wondering how true this is.

Also I must mention....he is not sleeping and it's really affecting him. Even when he's well he needs at least 7 hours otherwise he starts getting bad anxiety. All this is down to one single thought that came into his head during a conversation and he knows just how trivial it is and it's got nothing to do with him but anything to do with it now just automatically clings onto his thought pattern and he wants to know what he can do to stop it. If his depression were to lift he'd be able to concentrate on getting sorted.

Many thanks

Kerry

• Posted

Hi Kez, your partner shouldn't have come off them after only 2 months unless the reason was because of side effects, it was too soon. Normally you should stay on them for at least 6 months after feeling well. 

He needs to go back to his GP and restart again. 

Neil 

• Posted

Hi Neil.

Thanks for your reply. He was having really bad side effects so tapered off them from 40mg down to 30mg for the following week then 15mg for sweet then stopped. It was his gp that told him to come off as he was getting really bad depression and anxiety. He's just touching his 3rd week and seems to be getting worse. I've heard that the withdrawal level peaks at between the 3rd/4th week. If his depression was to lift he'd be able to concentrate on getting sorted. Oh and I need to mention, he's not sleeping and even when he's well he needs at least 7 hours a night. Any advice or anything he can take to calm himself down and what would you recommend for sleeping that's not addictive?

• Posted

Hi Kez

Whenever I’m coming off meds a doctor told me to take Benadryl (Acrivastine) with cod liver oil tablets, I swear by this it really helps.

Thanks

Neil

• Posted

Should he take the Benadryl morning and night?
    • Posted

Yes that’s fine, let me know how he gets on. Also good luck to you.
  • Posted

Hi why doesn't he try another med?  They are not all the same as I had to try 2 others before I found the one I am on now which is sertraline. 

Is he having any counselling?   

• Posted

It's Sertraline that sent him this bad in the first place.

Our biggest worry is the withdrawal symptoms.

Thankyou anyway for your reply.

Kerry

• Posted

Hi Kez, how is he now? Still plenty other meds he could try? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.