Help needed please ❤️

Posted , 4 users are following.

Three years ago during my 6th month of pregnancy I developed eustacian tube dysfunction. As if that's not miserable enough, my ent now says I have this disease. I wanted to get a little advice because as I read through symptoms it seems like I don't have as many. 

One month ago I had what I call a "ETD flare up" or so I thought that's what it was this time because it felt different. 

One morning I woke up and my left ear felt so full. So full that I got a migraine. I immediately thought great here we go my eustacian tube is acting up.  But here I am 1 month later, 2 ent visits later still with this full ear feeling. Granted in this month, it doesn't feel as full as it did. My ear constantly pops and that's why I was thinking my ETD. Although when it pops I only get mere minutes of relief. Then back to full feeling. It's truly maddening and I'm depressed. Will this full feeling ever leave???

My ent put me on a water pill and steroids. My steroid course is over and he wants to see me back in 2 more weeks. He says that my ear should be lots better by then. When I read up on this disease I don't have a ton of the symptoms other than the full ear and of course the imbalance and dizziness. I will say when this first hit me I kept having panic attacks because I couldn't stand how I felt/feel. I swear a lot I noticed lately and can only think this is why. I read about the attacks but I've not read about them lasting weeks, is this true? With this disease do you constantly have a full ear feeling? I sure hope not. I have a three year old that I want to enjoy and right now I'm miserable. Any tips, or any advice I could really use. I'm always writing on the ETD boards and I'm just not sure anymore if this is an ETD flare up. I would hate to have both of these. 

Thanks for listening ??

Ashley. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Also adding that the only time I feel relief is lying down or sitting forward. 
  • Posted

Hi Ashley.  From what you describe as symptoms, it's difficult to know if you have MD.  Normal symptoms from MD are:

1.  intense vertigo where you can not walk or even stand that lasts at least 20 minutes.  Have you had these kind of attacks?

2.  hearing loss in low decibel range in affected ear....did your ENT tell you if you have loss?

3.  tinnitus in affected ear.  Do you have tinnitus?

4.  ear fullness in affected ear....which you do have.

If you do not have all 4 of the above, it is unlikely you have MD. 

What dose of diuretic and steroids did your ENT put you on?  How long have you been on the diuretic? Are you noticing any improvement from these meds?

• Posted

Thank you for taking the one to respond. 

My ent did see loss in my effected ear. And I've had this fullness for a month now. 

I do not have the vertigo as you described. I have had vertigo but not since this happened with my ear. I of course am dizzy and what not but I've not had these attacks that I've read about. I'm grateful

For that. It sounds horrific. 

I was put on prednisone for 20 days and a water pill. I'm not at home but I will look at my bottle to see the name later and let you know. 

It's a definite that I have ETD but I just don't understand why he thinks Have MD, the only symptom I have really is the full ear that just isn't leaving. I'm just wanting some type of relief. I've not read yet that people with md suffer with ear fullness for weeks and weeks but maybe I'm wrong there. With my ETD attacks it will last quite awhile but nothing like this. I maybe need a second opinion. From your list it doesn't seem like I have it. But what then is going on with me 😢😢😢

• Posted

Ashley, the water pill (diuretic) should help with the ear fullness.  You probably are taking 25mg...the starter dose.  You may need more.  Some folks need as much as 75mg day.  If after 3 weeks on 25mg you still have ear fullness ask ENT to increase diuretic dose to 50mg.  Apparently, from your comments, the 20 days of oral steroids did not help.  You may want to ask doctor about intratympanic steroid injections directly into the middle ear.  The injections along with the diuretic should do the trick and clear up much of the fullness.

It's also very important that you control your stress/anxiety reaction to all of this.  Anxiety is known to cause inner/middle ear problems and migraine headaches.  You might want to ask ENT to prescribe a sedative for you...something like Ativan (Lorazapam) to control your anxiety until the ear problems are resolved.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Ashley - my symptoms started 18 months ago with intense fullness in my right ear. Slight low frequency hearing drop. The fullness feeling was so intense some mornings and I felt constantly floaty/brain foggy. I was diagnosed In May this year with Cochlear Hydrops. My hearing and fullness have recently just gotten worse so ENT thinks perhaps Menieres now. Mind you I've seen 4 ENT drs who have all said something different!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.