Help? Needing others input

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 21 years old. College student.

I'm always stressed out and I have been told by my doctor that I have anxiety issues.

I've been on a roller coaster with my health.

Apparently I just have acid reflux.

At least that's what the doctor said last October when I had my Barium Swallow Study.

My symptoms are that I have a burning/pain in my abdomen. I also have nausea at times, along with dizziness. My throat also feels warm Sometimes.

I've completely stayed away from soda, and other carbonated drinks, along with spicy foods.

But I can't say that I've been eating super healthy because I haven't. I haven't gotten the time to pick and choose what I wanna eat, I usually just take What's in front of me.

It started around last October til this day.

Though during the months December and January, (when I was out of school) it really wasn't that bad.

But it's back now.

I'm scared that it might be more than acid reflux.

I just find it weird because out of the 6-7 months I've been on with this problem,

I have not vomited ONCE, I have had no blood in my stool, and I haven't been getting any fevers.

I just wanna know What's wrong with me.

I always have this fear that I'm dying, to be honest.

I don't know why I've been feeling dizzy lately.

And it's weird because it's reoccurring. It'll happen, then pass, then come back and so on.

I'm currently taking pantoprazole but it's not really working.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your problem could very well be reflux and related to what you are eating. The clue is you said it was better when you were not in school. If you do have reflux then diet is very important. I love orange juice but even on the lanzoprozle its can result in what feels like the pain of death!

My advice to you is to make time and EAT A GOOD DIET. You are a college student so you have tons of time. If you think you have no time now, wait until you have to hold down a full-time job and have a house to run and even a family to support, then time is tight.

Read up about foods that aggrevate reflux. Keep a food diary to workout which foods affect you. It took me a while to get the dose right on my PPI to minimize my symptoms, most if the time I have no problems, but periodically I have to up the dose or grin and bear it until it goes off.

Stress will also make your reflux worse so worrying doesn't help either.Time to relax, eat well and hopefully you will feel better soon.

• Posted

What foods do you eat to relieve/get rid of the symptoms? And drinks?
    • Posted

Its more a case of what i DON'T eat. With reflux you want to stop it occuring in the first place because the acid not staying in the stomach and coming up into the mouth can cause damage. That's why its often a life style choice.

In my case I can take 1 fizzy drink but no more. Anything acidic like orange juice is a no no. Never go long periods without eating that sets me off. Very spicy food. I stick to plain foods, avoid fatty foods.

SInce I have been on the PPI and I take quite a high dose I can eat most things in moderation. Hope this helps

• Posted

You need to have a really bland diet. No coffee/milk/alcohol/red meat/spicey/fatty. Plenty of water, small meals, dont eat late at night.All very boring really. I must say since I have cut out all the above - my shopping bill has decreased. I live on fruit, veg, a little fish/chicken a couple of times a week. I've had the reflux op so I have lost 1/3 of my stomach volume so I guess its easier for me. Keep persevering
  • Posted

Hi Matthew.  I think your underlying problem is likely to be stress and there are ways to combat this e.g. Mindfulness.  I have developed reflux due to prolonged stress and have found that a combination of a bland diet plus Yoga and time for exercise plus Gaviscon advance at night, has helped. Good luck in getting better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.