Help or advice please

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had an emergency operation to remove my gallbladder as it had ruptured, 6 weeks later and i feel worse than before the gallbladder was removed. Im suffering with loose stools everything i eat goes through me im having cronic pain in my scar and im feeling sick. On Sunday for 6hrs i was really ill loose stools all night and being sick, im on oromorph and cocodomol im really depressed im too scared to eat and drink in case i have an accident im living on imodium. Has anyone else experienced this i really need help

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI, Kelle,

I think you might have bile acid malobsorption.  It happens to some people who have their gallbladders removed. Your gallbladder acted as storage for and a valve to measure out the bile produced by your liver.  The bile is released into your small intestine during digestion. Because you don't have a gallbladder now, the bile drips constantly into your small intestine.

If you have it, you will have yellow liquid surrounding your stools.  That's bile acid.  It's extremely caustic, as you probably already know.

There is a medication that can help you.  I have BAM and I take cholestyramine (which is a powder) mixed with papaya juice each night before bed.  I also sometimes need to take immodium.

One other way that you can help yourself is to change your diet.  Keep it low fat. 

There is a BAM group on the Patient web site.

Best of luck to you, and let me know how you do.    

• Posted

I'm very sympathetic to all that your going thru.

it can take months to years to recover. Staying on diets recommended and not eating certain foods can be painful and frustrating help in many ways to learn what foods can be difficult. Soups early on was all I Could eat and jello.

When I was out and about I knew where every restroom in the county was. Had no choice.

I cannot eat out food is to greasy and fatty and fizzy drinks can throw me for a loop.

once everything settled months later the dr prescribed enzymes to replace those made by the GB to break up foods, add probiotics and plain yogurt .p

it takes a long time for me to get thru the side effects of certain foods that cause issues its trial and error finding which foods are a problem. The stress alone is enough to cause issues.

Not being able to eat anything is very hard. Plz see your dr again and discuss a plan to help get you back on track and thru recovery . 

Best wishes it's a real problem for many recovering from GB removal. Especially since yours had ruptured. Terrible complications seem miserable.

Take care and plz see the dr ASAP. Be carful not to get dehydrated.

• Posted

So sorry!! Wish I knew what to say! I have heard people say that it takes for the body to adjust. Hang in there!!

How long were you suffering with symptoms before the rupture ?

• Posted

Before it ruptured i had never suffered any symptoms i was in work felt a sharp pain in my right side because i had my kidney removed in April bi thought something was wrong there ut then i put it that the pain was in my mind then i collapsed emergency operation i ended up in intensive care as i had e coli as well pretty rough
    • Posted

You had which kidney removed? I just had an auto transplant of my left kidney to the right side, next to the gallbladder. I have very rare vascular conditions that was the cause for this autotransplant. I have been dealing with nausea for years but attributed it to my fears of having such rare vascular conditions.

It only became clear during my recovery from the Autotransplant, that it was fats that was making me nauseous. I had my gallbladder tested in the HIDA scan show that it's not functioning.

Which kidney was removed, you're right kidney or your left?

• Posted

Hi i had my right kidney removed April 11 2016 and my gallbladder removed july 28th 2016
  • Posted

Hi Kelledee

So sorry to hear what your going through. Do you have the yellow poo all the time?

Only I get it now and then. It normally follows 24 hours of vomiting. Also without being crude. Does it really burn your bum hole when it comes out?

Only that's what I get to.

Wishing you better. Claire. X

• Posted

Yes i get exactly the same not nice is it im so down im fed up of feeling ill
  • Posted

Hi Kelledee, so sorry to hear that you have obviously been going through such a bad time.  In regard to the diarreah, 6 weeks is still relatively early days and for some people it can take even longer than this for it to stop - so i would say that there is still hope that this may only be temporary. I'm just over 10 weeks post op and i would say it's been one of the worst periods of my life so i can totally sympathise with you when you say you're feeling very fed up.  The foods that i have found i can eat are grilled or boiled chicken, carrots, courgettes, cucumber, red pepper, lettuce, brown bread or rice, bran flakes, soya milk.  As others have said, i would definitely stay very low fat, avoid fizzy drinks, herbs and spices... and drink plenty of water. Keep in touch - i know it's so hard when all you want is to feel 'normal' again.

• Posted

Thankyou so much for getting in touch im in so much pain from my scar as it was open surgery but i had my kidney removed in April as we'll so everything is getting me down

• Posted

You had which kidney removed? I just had an auto transplant of my left kidney to the right side, next to the gallbladder. I have very rare vascular conditions that was the cause for this autotransplant. I have been dealing with nausea for years but attributed it to my fears of having such rare vascular conditions.

It only became clear during my recovery from the Autotransplant, that it was fats that was making me nauseous. I had my gallbladder tested in the HIDA scan show that it's not functioning.

Which kidney was removed, you're right kidney or your left?

• Posted

It's not easy, nephrectomy is brutal and then to have an open surgery for this. Praying for you.

I do not know if they will be able to remove my gallbladder laporscopically as my left kidney was just placed in close proximity to it 8 weeks ago. Surgeon appt is 9/20. Seems like a lifetime !!

• Posted

I bet its horrible waiting thy tried to do my gallbladder operation keyhole but thy couldn't, but where thy tried my scars are quite raised and very sore im on oromorph and cocodomol 30/50. Im fed up ive had 2yrs of being poorly im so depressed.

• Posted

I will tell you what I tell myself multiple times a day, this has to pass. We will feel better. I've been suffering for two years with these very rare vascular conditions. My surgery essentially is an nephrectomy me with reimplantation of the kidney in another area. It's brutal to heal from I know that. I'm only eight weeks out yesterday, and I in no way want more surgery, but I'm sick of feeling like crap. The nausea has been plaguing me the whole time, over the past two years again I just chalked it up to dealing with the very rare vascular conditions. It's nice to have an answer for the nausea, but I fear that it will continue even after the removal of the gallbladder. At the same time I'm trying to hang on to hope!!!! We need to have hope and faith that we will feel better. Here anytime you want to talk!

• Posted

As well as my ill health i lost my dad in September 2014, I feel like i never got

over it then i got ill

• Posted

I can relate there too. Lost my brother late 2013 and my issues started just before he passed. Life is so unfair.
    • Posted

Your right their it is unfair, sorry to hear about your brother
    • Posted

Thank you. So sorry about your dad. One day at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.