Help! Overwhelmed with symptoms

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, I haven't posted for a while. I'm 50 now and been going through some rough symptoms for a year - depression, anxiety, digestive probs. Had LOADS of scans and tests but all clear, though I'm convinced I have something wrong inside as upper abdo pain and IBS is a DAILY problem.

I'm on my last day of a holiday in Spain - I nearly didn't come due to so many physical symptoms and anxiety. I've tried to relax but just have no energy for going out and I'm feeling SO panicky right now because I feel like this EVERY day. It's like I'm dragging myself through each day never knowing what to expect.

These are my current symptoms, can anyone relate because I just can't believe this is normal... I'm currently having a period too...

-Daily upper abdo aching/cramping/ indigestion

-Lower abdo aching/cramping/bloating

-Fatigue, feels like I've been drugged

-Neck, shoulders, hips and thighs ache - like flu

-Nausea

-Waking up in morning with sick headaches, like migraine, and numb hands and arms?

-Waking up feeling like I've been run over! And not feeling better as day goes on.

I could go on. These sick, migrainious headaches are the worst. I've been getting them nearly every day for weeks now. I take Vit supplements and careful what I eat, no alcohol etc. But I just can't seem to get any respite.

Sorry, but I feel so low. How can all my blood tests and scans be normal and I feel this ill? I'm trying to hide it from my daughter and hubby but I've got no energy for the things I used to do. And it's not just sometimes, this has been every day for months, if it's not one symptom it's another. My anxiety is through the roof.

I hope you are all having better days xx

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hun sorry to here you having such a tough time but it does have a name it's called menopause Hun unfortunately you sound as though you might be right in the bad bit of it all when it peaks really bad sad hopefully when you get home find a nice lady doctor to go have a chat with perhaps she can put you on something to help ease some of the symptoms while your pitching. I'm post menopausal by 3.5 years I still get symptoms of the menopause unfortunately but some of the symptoms you describe do improve. Big hugs to you I now how you feel but try and be kind to yourself and accept its part of what is woman have to go threw at some point xxx
  • Posted

Hi Ruthie,

SNAP!

When I was in my thirties I never gave the menapause a second thought , then all of a sudden your in your fifties and bang this huge big cloud hits you. Everything you mention sounds so like myself. I'm going to see my GP tomorrow after two years of struggling with this dreadful feeling. I don't talk about it to anyone, so I'm not sure how I'm going to cope tomorrow! I don't sleep and spend most evenings sitting on my own . I've put weight on and can't bare looking at my shape. My husband doesn't want to know about any of it. I packed a bag last week and told him I was going, he broke down and begged me to stay, nothing's really changed and I'm hoping I can get some help tomorrow.

• Posted

Hi Ruth, 

yourve just written my story, my husband is oblivious to my turmoil but I havent had the energy to leave, yet.

Ive seen my Gp & counsellor & am trying to get back some control even if its blobbing out on the couch. 

I sometimes think it would be nice for us all to get together when we are at our worst so we dont sit alone in our worst times. This is good enough for now. 

Its been a real 'sisterhood' how everyone has been so opening & sharing its all helping if only being able to relate to others.

Take care Ruth  xxx

• Posted

Hi Manda.

On this forum I feel like I really am not alone. When I'm feeling at my lowest I'm irritated by everyone and delete every email I get. Then it's not long before I need it all desperately.

The Dr I'm seeing tomorrow is a lady and I have had to wait three weeks to see her. I'm hoping to get some sort of help.

I've been with my husband for 31years and he refuse to find out about what I'm going through. I wish we could all get together and have a good chat. Xxxxxx

• Posted

Yes Ruth my husband I feel is like an ostrich, burying his head in the sand. I have been with him for about 30yrs. My last session with my counsellor just yesterday had me feeling a wee better, as she is going to apparently 'teach' me some better communication skills/tools. I was thinking 'good luck  with that' when she mentioned it but I will keep an open mind. I have done the 'fixing communicating' in our relationship for the best part of 30yrs as why we have lasted so long. I just feel too tired too care anymore. But I have held it in the back of my mind that this is temporary what we are experiencing & I dont want to make any life changing decisions why Im not feeling totally in control of my mind or body for that matter. My husband is still a thoughtless dumb arse but so am I so Ill ride it out till I can think straight. Im sorry you have had to wait so long to see your Dr. 

Well we are having a good chat but I know what you mean. 

Im actually in NZ & stumbled onto this forum ,realising it was  UK based. After reading others experiences I realised at the end of the day we are all women what we are going through is normal/natural some are feeling worse symptoms some have 'understanding, supportive spouses' some are honest about whats happening some try to keep it private.

Good luck with your visit to your Dr. Do let us know how you get on.

I too dont want to read or write anything on a bad day .

• Posted

Hi Ruthie,

me too, it's the menopause hun, rest and recuperate wink

I feel just awful today and I find that any stress or anxiety makes me feel terrible, right now my head aches, my neck, my back and my shoulders, I had hardly any sleep last night.

I am trying to cope with a full time job too, it's horrendous,

I also suffer with horrendous indigestion

I just feel like going back to sleep today rolleyes

Mrs M 

• Posted

Hi ruthie

I have had all this problems due to anxieties, stomach issues, Palpitations, depression

My sister introduced me to ginger tea its suppose to help with stomach issues and help you sleep, and help relieve stress.

All you need is ginger you peal the skin and then cut in really thin, then you boil 2 1/2 cups water and add 4 to 6 thin slices of ginger 

then you can add steviva sugar and a little bit of honey and thats how you make it Ginger is really good for stomach issues try it and see how it works with you 

Hope you feel better

• Posted

Hi Ruthie.  Why are you hiding how you feel from your daughter and husband?  THey probably can tell you don't feel like yourself.  Tell them.  It's not a disease just a time in life we as woman go through.  I have been going through this for a while.  I went to the doctor and broke down crying for no reason. LOL ( So not like me) She just said Yup your in menopause full force.  I have the extreme hot flashes. (unbearably hot) along with nasuea. Just to get through the nasuea I have to sit down to get it to pass.  I can't sleep at night.  Dragging in the day.  But on the upside I finally have the emotions under control for the most part.  It will get better but it can last a while.  If it is unbearable you can take HRT. (Hormone replacement theraphy) although they say it can cause cancer and if you take it to only take it for a short time.  It will get better though.  Hope you get throught it all soon.
  • Posted

Hi Ruthie, I could of written your post. I too am suffering with all the body pain, fatigue, anxiety/panic attacks, nausea and stomach pain etc. i am at my wits end with it all and dont remember what its like to feel well. I'm assuming its all menopause or should i say hoping it is as i have trouble convincing myself i am ok with all these symptoms. i also am 50 . your not alone with this, hugs x
  • Posted

but of course this is what we've got mad and it's just awful,

I can't get going, it's a wonderful day outside, the trees and the air is great, usually I would be out walkijng but

je suis fatiguez uhhh neutral

hang in there girls it can only get better

xxxxxx

wink

• Posted

Hi Ruthie,

I can abslutely simplify with you. I have had similar syptoms & more. My anxiety moved to depression & with other life probs Im currently dealing with  it all got  mixed up & out of control. My first ever post to this site just last week & reading others stories really helped put things in perspective along with visiting a counsellor. Now I have taken time to be kinder to myself. Lightening the load, relaxing( blobbing out) if its stressful dont do it attitude. Not easy as Im broke money wise but getting back mental control( & having an understanding what is going on). I m coping with the 'pains/aches' & learning how to maintain my mental state(anxiety, depression, bad moods).I have been covinced its not forever. Its a horrible experience because I think alot of the time its never ending , something else keeps happening, its hard to explain to my family so they think Im just 'sick' all the time. It may not help but all the readers understand you & it helps to put it out there. Peri-Meno  is not something Id ever heard of. I wish more awareness was out there. Hang in there Ruthie we  are all strong thats why we are woman.

• Posted

I can sympathise, I get all theses thngs too and I am only  perimenopause! Don't know which one is worse, have never been so tired!  You are not alone although it can feel like it sometimes. Take care!
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for your replies and support today - it has really helped me feel less alone with all these symptoms. My family know I am having a hormonal time but I don't like to go on about it. I just find it hard struggling to do all the family stuff I used to, I've always been so active.

Anyway, we must believe for better days ahead. Keep hoping! And thanks again xx

• Posted

Ruthie, I have mentioned the following before but I don't think anyone takes any notice.  All those symptoms are also symptoms of haemochromatosis.  It does not mean that you are not going through menopause, but it may be exasperated by overload iron as well.  As you slow down menstruating and you have the HH genes, you start loading iron too.  This was my experience.  This is especially for those who have celtic and/or viking heritage.

You need to ask for an Iron Studies/Panel test.  Now I am not talking just iron.  If you are not given results for ferritin iron and transferrin saturation % plus serum iron and TIBC, you have not been given an Iron Studies test.  If 2 of those are over the normal range, then you should ask for a genetic test.  Always ask for a copy of your results so that you can see for yourself.  Drs are known to not read test results properly.

A complete blood count does not include these tests.  If you think you have every test going, you may not have.  Most drs do not even think of this test.

It is worth getting this test, if only to eliminate the possibility, and maybe a repeat test in a year, so that you are not suffering unnecessarily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.