Help please :(

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am new to this sort of thing, I have never signed up to a specific support chat group and I'm hoping for a bit of re assurance as I'm pulling my hair out here!! I have had anxiety for a long time now, my doctor has recently offered me cbt which I am certainly great full for! But I just can't see how it is going to work on me, I am anxious all through the day, my body sweats I tremble and shake inside my body I get breathless and my chest feels so tight! I have two little boys and this is not only affecting me its affecting them too as I cannot physically do anything when I get like this it's like I want to run away from the feelings I am getting! I'm in university and have to get up and present Infront of people and I the feeings I get are so out of control I have walked off before and got so upset with myself! The day time is not the worse though as I find night time the hardest, I can't sit on the sofa with my boyfriend and watch TV as I just can not relax because instead of focusing on TV I focus on my breathing and I can't break the habit even when I go to bed! I wake up gasping for air is like anxiety does not give me a break at all and it's generally getting me down and destroying my life I'm only 24, i just want to feel normally!! I've been prescribed tablets from my doctor various time just too scared to take them as I always think that they will kill me sad((

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Use the tablets. The fear of the tablet is a part of the anxiety disorder. Illogical fear of fear. Just take it because your anxiety is off the wall. You can wean off them after you are calm again and feel you have it all under control from the therapy. Putting it off and panicking all day wont help you get better. The torture and terror as a trade off from fearing the tablet isnt worth it, 
    • Posted

Maybe also look into yoga at your school. 
    • Posted

Thanks Lisa, this was an option I have been considering, I can never relax and would love to be able to know how to relax myself x
    • Posted

I'm just frightened as I've heard so many bad things about amitryptiline as this is what I've been prescribed x

• Posted

If you don't want meds (which aren't in any way mandatory for recovery) then ask your gp about Psychotherapy

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, have you done this by any chance? Is it the same as cbt?
    • Posted

Yes I've been in therapy,its not at all like cbt. Cbt is generally the first thing given as it's cheap to deliver,but it's not at all the same as proper therapy

• Posted

Hi carlyyb....

Please try the medication....I have been on three different pills for anxiety and depression for about 16 yrs.....at very high doses...I have never, ever had any side effects whatsoever. And in fact ....they saved my life as I was so down.....

Try them, they can change your life around completely....you deserve to be happy and anxiety free......I do so hope you feel better very, very soon.. warm hugs , and best wishes ....dee xxx

• Posted

Hi dee.. Thank you so much!! I think I am going to try them, I have found camomile tea helps really well with getting off to sleep xxx
  • Posted

I'm just like you,always afraid to take any kind of pills,it's part of my anxiety,however this past month has been so horrible I finally gave in and tried klonipion which my doc prescribed to me,it took away my dizziness from anxiety and think it works even though I'm on the lowest dose,,it took so much for me to actually take it but I was desperate for relief,if you have a friend or someone who can stay with you when you take it that will be a big help,that's what I did just in case I had a bad reaction which is what I feared,,everything was fine though,just got a little tired

• Posted

Thank you Shannon! It's nice to know others feel the same and I'm not on my own xx

• Posted

If you don't have a physical desease, You can do the following steps. They are very useful to limit your bad feelings and they helped my a lot.

1. Watch a lot of comedy movies or funny shows on your own (by yourself) and you will get used to focusing on movies.

2. Go for a little walk on your own, don't bring someone with you and go to a peacful or calm place like a river, beach, sea, garden or any other natural and calm place. Stay there for 15 min and then go back to your home. You can do this daily, weekly or whenever you're free.

3. Try to lagugh for 5 min every day. Make time for laughing. This is very helpful.

4. Get rid of bad people who make you feel sad or stressed.

Finally, You should know that all people may feel bad feelings like you. So, you can give them positive energy instead of making them feel bad. Just memorize one or two joke or funny quotes, tell them to the people around you and make them laugh. When you bring happiness to people, you will feel happy to. 

• Posted

You got some great advice and support here already. I am also pro medication if one is at an advanced stage of anxiety as you can considerably ease the constant tension and then work with all the various therapy approaches from a more sound base. This way you build some confidence sooner and also are able to see that you can feel better and aim higher. But you can do it the other way around as even my psychiatrist said, it is just a longer road. Totally up to you and your circumstances. Now,  I would just like to ask if your doctor has asked for any blood tests since diagnosing you with anxiety or prior to diagnosing you? Specifically your thyroid function and iron levels?

These can produce anxiety symptoms or escalate them so it is a good idea to always check this before throwing it all down to anxiety. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.