Help Please for Newcomer

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a miscarriage back in 2011 and was told I had fibroids and cysts after the midwife spotted it during ultrasound. I went for an MRI scan which confirmed this and also had a procedure done with a gynaecologist to examine them during an operation to remove my gall bladder. One measured approx. 5cm but I was told that I had no symptoms so they wouldn't do anything, which was fine.

Since being diagnosed, I've had constant urine infections which sometimes show bacteria after culture but sometimes come back clear, lower back pain (physio says it's pelvic pain), bloating, sharp pain and really bad stomach cramp during my periods. My periods are heavy to start but lighter as week goes on and are always regular. I also feel really uncomfortable down below and need to urinate all the time but was told this is due to the uti's.

I've had numerous antibiotics for urine infections and have just recently had a cystoscopy done where my urethra was widened due to extreme scarring caused by the infections. Every time I mention these symptoms in relation to fibroids I'm told they have nothing to do with uti or lower back pain.

Anyone else experiencing these symptoms? I already have a wee boy who I had in 2009 and nothing was spotted on those ultrasounds. I also don't know what type of fibroid I have

Clare

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

hi Clare, you need to go to your GP and insist on getting a trans vaginal scan (not just ultrasound scan) to see the fibroid size and where they are. The heavy periods and cramps are due to the fibroids as the the need to pee, the fibroid is pressing on the bladder. Continued heavy periods will result in you becoming anemic (i became so anemic i needed a blood transfusion - don't let it get to that stage), You need to get a blood test done to see your inron levels as well. 

The only symptoms i can relate to are the heavy bleeding and cramping, see my post and others about diet changes that could help. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I've been booked in for a pelvic ultrasound but as they've said this will show where the fibroid is lying. If I don't get anything from that I'll request the one you mentioned. They still don't think my uti's are anything to do with fibroids though sad Im sure they said it was an ovary fibroid so that could maybe why they're ruling it out
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I think a pelvic unltrasound is the same as a trans vaginal scan as hospital called me today and said i was booked for a pelvic unltrasound and when i asked is this the same as a trans vaginal scan, they confimred it was. hope you get something from the scan. 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up