Help please regarding my thyroid condition.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi.. I have just joined today in the hope of getting some help as Im desperate. I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid years ago but to be honest Im clueless on the condition.

I am not on the correct dose of medication at the moment as I have lost a lot of weight since having my son 14 months ago and the doctor is concerned it will cause me to lose more weight. Lately I am feeling really ill all the time, Im exhaused, my arms, legs and neck are always aching, I have headaches etc etc and I am wondering if this could be due to my thyroid? I have an appointment to have bloods done in a week but I'm getting myself worked up thinking I have something sinister as I also have a lump on my neck. It's not good feeling like this with two children to look after.

Any advice on symptoms would be really appreciated to put my mind at rest a little.

Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Dear Lisa, I would suggest you immediately contact Dr Barry Peatfield, (on line and tel:01883-623-125). He has written several books and is extremely knowledgeable about thyroid conditions. He worksoutside the NHS and in fact was struck off for not working to their very limited precepts about the thyroid: with the NHS it is Thyroxin or nothing!

I had hyperthyroidism after my second child was born and it was dangerous and treated with drugs. Later I have developed hypothyroidism, so am on a course of supplements (not cheap!) under Dr Peatfield. I am feeling really good, active and energetic, though it takes time, and you must be patient.

Read Dr Peatfield's books and see what you think. I would start taking Vitamin B complex immediately, as much as possible, because it will help you. Also you could try Kelp, but go carefully on that and judge how much you can take; it is essential for thyroid conditions and very good for you, but too much can make you a bit jittery. Also EAT HEALTHILY!

Good luck. Susan

• Posted

Hello Lisa, I'm sorry you are feeling so awful. Try not to worry about your symptoms as they are typical of a thyroid which is out of balance. A lump on the neck is also common with thyroid problems. When you get your blood results you will be able to have your medication adjusted and then you will start to feel better. It must be exhausting coping with this and children too. Your weight will also stabilise when you start to get better. If possible, grab every bit of rest you can, it will help.

Hope you feel better soon,

Bess.

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I was only diagnosed last week with under active thyroid. All of your symptoms sound very similar to mine, and I completely understand how you feel coping with small children! I was just feeling so exhausted all of the time, terrible headaches, aching limbs, and I just put it down to having a young family, so was actually pleased to be able to pinpoint what it is.

My problem seems to be a really annoying tickly cough in the morning and evening and i'm wondering if it is related to the thyroxine? Have you had anything like this at all?

Thanks to SBrandt as I will definitely start taking the vitamin B and I have to admit that my diet has been really poor lately, so I will also make sure i'm more aware of eating well..

Any other tips welcome!

Georgia

• Posted

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it :-)

Georgia sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, I havent been online much as I am still feeling really awful. With regard to the tickly cough, I cant remember if this happened to me when I started my medication as I started taking levothyroxine years ago, I would assume it's a possibility if it coincided with you starting your medication. I hope you managed to get to the bottom of it and it's eased now.

My main symptom at the moment is these aches and pains, they are driving me crazy, constant pain in my neck, arms and back, are you suffering the same symptom? My dose was increased a week ago but still no change yet, I have to go for yet more blood tests next week to check for other things as I have been feeling so unwell. So sick of it all.

I just dont get how it can be a thyroid issue if I've suffered with my thyroid for so many years and never had these symptoms before.

Lisa x

• Posted

Dear Lisa,

I've suffered with a thyroid condition most of my life and yes, these symptoms are both thyroidal, and both can come and go.

About a year ago I was having severe "tickly-throat syndrome", going into fits of choking coughs in the middle of speaking to people. I had to have water by me the whole time and a stash of throat pastilles, which I still keep in case of need. It's gone off now, although I did have a little choking fit the other day.

Also, I have in the last 6 months had severe aches and pains in my hands, arms, shoulders and neck (a feeling that my neck is not strong enough to hold my head up!). The best way I know how to cope with it is exercise and persisting with that. Everything takes a while to take effect. I've had to do a lot of lower body exercises recently, but since I've been doing more upper-body exercises, I'm feeling less achy.

I hope you start to feel better soon, S.Brandt

• Posted

Hi SBrandt just to let you know that Dr Barry Durant Peatfield didn't get struck off by the gmc. He resigned as he didn't want the hasssle of being called before them time and again.

Jo xx

• Posted

Dear Jo,

Thank you, and apologies for getting it wrong. He certainly has helped me enormously and clearly knows very much more than the NHS are prepared to admit to!

SBrandt

• Posted

Thanks again SBrandt, can I ask if you have any issues with your feet? I have to have a fasting blood test on Tuesday as I am suffering with my feet too, very painful and terrible itching at night and first thing in the morning. Think they are going to test for diabetes. Think my body is falling apart lol. Lisa :-)
  • Posted

The only issues I have with feet are arthritis-related. I don't know of it being connected to the Thyroid condition. If it is diabetes, diet again ie. what you eat, can help a lot. In fact, if you think about it what you eat is crucial to health, so best is to find out what you need and what you should cut out. SBrandt
  • Posted

Hi againvery sore feet and arthritis like symptoms can be related to underactive thyroid. zMy friend was diagnosed under active about 6 months ago and she had suffered with sore feet for about 5 years. Her heels were cracked and she couldn't wear socks or anything . A consultant had diagnosed her with plantar fascitis (excuse the spelling) Since taking levo her heels have completely cleared up. Her dose is now 300 mcg. and she feels on top of the world.

Jo xx

• Posted

Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate all your comment. The problem with my feet is very itchy toes upon resting or getting hot, also a feeling of painful nerve endings in my big toe. Suppose it could be relayed if your friend suffered with her feet. Hopefully blood tests next week will reveal something. Thank you again. Lisa xx
  • Posted

I have been reduced to 100 mg form 200mg daily over time and have developed a cough too. I all have a very painful right foot near the heel , does anyone know if this is all related to Hypothyroidism.
  • Posted

Hi all, I have had painful feet for 7 years now. They are hot, prickly and general bad pain every day, all day. I am under-active thyroid for 5 years. I have just had the results of my MRI scan which showed no abnormality. My bloods or normal and i'm at a loss as to what to do next. My GP will again say its all in my head GRR. I just want to be pain free. Any suggestions would be great

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.