Help quitting Diazepam!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, sorry for my English:

When I was 16 I was into a depression and I was treated years with 0,5 of Tranquimazin a day (Alprazolam) it helped with the depressive mood it did nothing with the sleep problems. A year ago or so (I'm now 22) I had muscular problems and was given 2,5 of Diazepam (Valium) two times a day. When I ended the one week treatment I (foolish of me) requested my Doctor to change my usual Alprazolam to Diazepam, because it helped me a lot with sleep. Nowadays I only take 2,5 at night, and if I'm in bad times, another pill in the morning. The thing is, I have developed tolerance and I have anxiety anyways. To make it worse, the diazepam has ruined sleep and I always wake up tired. I've tried to quit like 3 or 4 times in the past, cold turkey, decreasing dosage, doing altern days, all the thing. When the drug leaves my body I feel amazing, with the energy a 20 year old like me should feel. But for other unrelated causes (digestive problems->anxiety) I always ended taking the drugs again. Now I'm in a good moment of my life and this is the only thing that exhausts me. Right now I've got anxiety, my heart rate is slow because of the pill, an that makes even more anxious, It's like I'm at 200% in my head and 50% in my body, I'm tired of this feeling. Should I try to quit it again? It's cold turkey safe? (I take 2,5-5 max. a day)

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi garbeja7,

Cold turkey NEVER!!!! Please go to your doctor for advice about a slow reduction.

These are powerful drugs and to be avoided but unfortunately some of us are prescribed them again and again.

Yes it's good to come off them but it has to be a gradual process.

Wishing you the best of luck.

• Posted

hi . have u tried acupunture. did me the world of good . now i just have propranolol 10mg and only take when my heart is fast which makes me panic . i have not had a bad panic attack now for some time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.