Help starting citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

I tried 2 times and get scared and i stop taking it. I take xanax 1 mg a day right now,I have no depression just nervousness and do not want to do the things i use to. Also very moody and get mad over little things. will Cit help me somehow i have to take this med if it will make me better,this is ruining my life i hate feeling this way. Dr wants me to start with 10 mg at night. I do have xanax also. any help will be great thanks again

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi marley, I was started on it by gp 2 weeks ago for new anxiety panicky feeling and insomnia -I was scared to take it but wanted to believe it would help-it made me more anxious and worse insomnia-when I asked gp for more sleeping tabs he said stop cital it might be making you worse-5 days later feel really low in mood-but so many people have felt it helps them and had few side effects- if I had not felt worse I would have carried on with it-wish you well x
  • Posted

Thank you for the response I still have not made up my mind/
  • Posted

Hello Marley,

I started taking 10mg of Citalopram approx 10 months ago after 1 week I increased to the normal dosage of 20mg and have stayed on that for the last 10 months. I started citalopram due to anxiety and panic attacks which was leading me down the depression path. I was VERY hesitant to start citalopram but it made a world of difference to me in a positive way. The side effects initially lasted for one week approximately so if you can just remind yourself this is temporary and its for the best you will absolutely get through them. I found myself very exhausted by my sleep pattern was all over the place and i had a great level of dissassociation and a bit itchy skin and hot and cold flushes. I noticed an improvement to my anxiety (that was crippling me) within about 4 days. The panic attacks ensued for a little while however the panic would simmer after an initial 20seconds of sweats etc.

I am on my 3rd day of coming off of citalopram and again have slight dissassociation, hot and cold flushes and shakes but I know that this is temporary and I am going to be soo proud of myself once i'm off.

I write a blog and the last article I wrote is about starting and stoping citalopram.

You will make the right decision for you! Just know you're not alone! There are SOO many people going through the exact same thing.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link, if any user wishes to have the link to the blog please use the message facility to request this (click the message button under the relevant name).

• Posted

Thank you you for your response i am trying to stick with it. My question is this though. If i have been on 5mg for 9 days and i have almost 0 side effects do you have any idea how going to 10mg may effect me with side effects since 5 gave me none as of yet?

Also i have read that alot of people stay at 10mg and do not need to go to 20mg I am trying to stay as low as possible with this. I also will be weening of xanax when it does fully kick in not sure how i will know if it is the Cit or the xanax that is working?Anyone know how i figure that out? thanks so much

• Posted

Hello I have been prescibed cit for panic disorder and severe anxiety but I also suffer frommsevere slee

Apnea which plays hell with my metabolism I am overweight as a result andconstantly fatiged duu to sleep disturbance jus wanted to know if anyone knows of side affrcts and dangers cit may cause me . And will they help me to stop feelin this way help appreciated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.