Help .. symptoms of overactive thyroid but treatment for underactive

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there. I am new here. I have been feeling very unwell for 3/4 months. Constantly lightheaded, faint, headaches, anxious, heart palpitations and lots of hair loss. After the 4th GP visit, I have now been prescribed 50 mg Levothyroxine off the back of my latest blood test. Unfortunately the GP I saw today seemed reluctant to actually explain my results and what is the matter. She said that the thyroid will be affecting my hair and that my TSH is working in overdrive which will be making me feel the way I am. I said I needed to understand what my results show to which she replied don't worry. Then when I insisted she referred me to patient.co.uk and wrote down Hypothyroidism. Now I have done some research, it appears my symptoms all scream overactive thyroid but I seem to be being treated for an underactive thyroid. All I know is my T4 was normal but the TSH was high. Can someone please help as I am at my wits end with GP visits and being given little or no information as to what is wrong with me. She seemed irritated I had asked

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Chez

Your T4 (the level of hormones etc your thyroid produces in your system) is normal but to achieve this normal level your thyroid is having to be overstimulated (ie your TSH thyroid stimulating hormone is high).  This implies that your thyroid is underactive as it is having to be over stimulated to produce the norm.  Your GP is giving your body artificial T4 so that your thyroid doesn't continue to overwork.  Hope this simplification helps.

• Posted

Thank you Linda. That makes perfect sense. I was just completely thrown as we were discussing my symptoms and how an overactive thyroid can cause this. I seem to have all the symptoms of an overactive thyroid. This was my 4th trip to the GP after getting nowhere and to be given little info. Felt as though I was irritating her by asking what the matter is with me. She only told me T4 ok and TSH up (no specific numbers) after I really pushed.

Do you know if this will all affect fertility? Fell pregnant within the first month of trying with my firstborn, been actively trying for 8 months for another one so far. Asked the Gp today and she said "carry on as you are"??

• Posted

Ask your doc for a copy of your lab tests.  In Canada you are entitled to that.  If you are in UK, I would think it would be the same.  I know it sounds odd but a high TSH value equals HYPOthyroidism and a low TSH value equals HYPERthyroidism.  Usually with a high TSH, your FT3 and FT4 are low and you require thyroid hormone replacement.  I would also get my Vitamin D level checked as it is often deficient in people with thyroid issues.
    • Posted

Sorry Chezza I am 60 so haven't had to think about fertility.

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.