Help with bradycardia

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was just told today I have BRADYCARDIA - and thst it is rare for my age at 65.

I still dont know what caused it. I am hypothyroid

Low heart rate at 50

I will need a pacemaker I am told.

Looking for any advice, info.

Also should I get a second opinion?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janetn

I became bradicardic due to beta blockers, Bisoprolol. My does was increased twice and my heart rate dropped to 43 beats per minute.

i'm 52 and now have a heart rate around 58 to 63 bpm on the lowest beta blocker level available. 

There must be som other factors involved if you are being told you'll need a pacemaker.

Discuss your meds with your GP, 1 of them may be working against the heart rate causing the slow rate.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your response. I will be checking with my doctor next week. The only meds I am taking are for Hypothyroid and for Cholesterol. But I just saw a Cardiologist for the first time yesterday who suggested the pacemaker but also referred me to a Electrophysiologist and also for me yo have an MRI done of my heart.

I am now starting to get as much information as possible.

• Posted

You are right, bisoporol is supposed to drop your heart rate as I understand it, my husband has dialated cardiomyopathy or heart failure, caused by a virus the Dr's believe, but nothing proven.

His Ejection fraction was as low as 23%, 7 years ago, then about 2 years ago with Ejection fraction was about 35%, his pulse was at 30BPM, at home, took him to the heart hospital, where they said it was his tablets that were causing the problem, took him off his tablets, and his heart rate dropped to 23BPM, at that point, they called the hospital flying team in.

I saw the consultant a couple of hours later, and told him his junior staff were idiots in no uncertain terms, 30BPM, is not a pinched nerve in your neck and nor is it caused by heart tablets as proven only too well, consultant agreed with me, he told me so.

Pacemaker installed finally 36 hours after we presented at the heart hospital, he immediately felt better, told us all he could breathe, I was in the recovery area, and would you believe his slow urine flow resolved itself within half and hour of the pacemaker being switched on. 

His Ejection fraction last week was back to 56%, which is in the normal range, apparently his dialated cardiomyopathy appears to have resolved itself.

Have since been told that he has 100% branch bundle block, after having left sided branch bundle block for many years possibly, so the left side of his heart was not beating in rhythum with the right side of his heart but slightly off. 

Also interesting is that he is one of the lucky few that does not have plaque in his arteries, as first thought might be the cause of his heart failure, angiogram seemed to stun the Dr's, and still does when we bring it up with a new junior cardiologist, they have to dig in the file, but they eventually find the report telling them he is a little different to regular patients.

• Posted

Thank you. I am waiting now to see an Electrophysiologist and to have an MRI of my heart.
    • Posted

Please i request all of you to answer me. Cardiologist did my eps 4 year ago to reduce my heart rate. After that i hv problem that my heart is sinking. Cardiologist said its anxiety test echo is ok . Ecg alway normal. Now my heart beat 50. I m taking prapnonol ( indral) dr said 50 heart rate is no problem. Dont worry. I m 37 year old . I m not healthy and not healthy life style. Is 47 bpm is dangerious or ok.
  • Posted

I take a beta blocker and my heart rate is always 55 to 60.  I feel fine.  A second opinion by a cardiologist is a good idea.
  • Posted

I would get another opinion.....I have in the past for a number of medical problems & was glad I did....good luck to you

• Posted

Thank you. I will soon be seeing a Electrophysiologist

And to get an MRI of my heart.

But I also know that a pacemaker insertion is being scheduled if needed after the consultation and MRI.

Waiting now....

• Posted

Hi Janet,

I too, have bradycardia, but am sure it's as a result of taking bisoprolol.  I may need a pacemaker some day as my paternal grandmother had to have one put in when she was in her late sixties, but for now I'm confident that I don't need one, and btw, I also have hypothyroid.

• Posted

I have never heard of bisoprolol. I am only taking Eltroxyn for hypothyroid and Cresstor for Cholesterol.

Only 2 months ago I started to feel tired, someheadache and palpitations of my heart.

Last year I ran three 5Ks and I felt fine. But I never checked my pulse for my heart.

Suddenly this year I am having this health issue.

However I dont know if it is connected with my allergy issue which strangely was diagnosed as IDIOPHALAXYSIS.

So all in all I am trying to understand what may be causing my low heart rate.

• Posted

You say you ran 3 5Ks last year.  You might just have "athletic heart syndrome."  Google that.  And good luck.

• Posted

Please i request all of you to answer me. Cardiologist did my eps 4 year ago to reduce my heart rate. After that i hv problem that my heart is sinking. Cardiologist said its anxiety test echo is ok . Ecg alway normal. Now my heart beat 50. I m taking prapnonol ( indral) dr said 50 heart rate is no problem. Dont worry. I m 37 year old . I m not healthy and not healthy life style. Is 47 bpm is dangerious or ok.
    • Posted

Hi Gloria, I noticed last year my heart rate was 52 only because I gotva Fitbit. I never paid attention to my heart rate before . I ran three 5Ks last year but looking back I am thankful I did not collapse!!

A few weeks ago I started to have palpitations , some strong ones when I was in my car driving!

So started checking with my doctor.

I was then diagnosed with Bradycardia. I am to get a Pacemaker after I have an MRI done. I just turned 65. I was an avid runner and I am sad at the deterioration of my heart.

My heart rate goes down to 45 at times. I am wearing a Holter to have another check.

You may want to check with your Cardiologist and electrophysiologist.

All the best to you

Janet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.