Help with depression and anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

i restarted Prozac 3 days ago and my anxiety is much worse. Is this normal. Do I need to just push through it? I have been dealing with depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts since December. I am so very tired and scared.

I just want to feel normal and happy again. My son gets married in 6 weeks and I'm terrified I will be like this. Does anyone have any help. During the day it is so difficult but in the evenings I feel a bit better.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laurie, heightened anxiety is a start up side effect of most anti depressants so what you are experiencing is normal. 

The side effects should start to wear off within a couple of weeks once your body gets used to the meds.

You might want to ask your GP for something to calm the anxiety whilst you get through the side effects, maybe a short course of a benzo like Valium which you can take for a short space of time.

Hope this helps. Neil 

• Posted

Aspinin's advice seems reasonable. Personally  found ADs pushed my anxiety way up and I had had enough after 8 days - I couldnt take it anymore. I'm now off all ADs and meds and stopped caffiene, and given myself time to rest and sleep well, and I actually feel pretty good.

• Posted

I've tried that and it didn't work for me. My anxiety is so high and my depression I am feeling suicidal. I fear I will never be well again. I am so scared. I don't want to hurt my family. I love them so very much. 

• Posted

Hi Laurie would just like to tell you it can be quite common when you start these medications that your symptoms get worse before they get better which trust me can be very frightening but in about 2 weeks you should start to feel a lot better please don't think you won't ever be well again it's quite a common thought when you start suffering from depression but my lovely you will it may be a case you need something extra for the anxiety just until your body gets used to the medication I would go back to the dr though if you feel absolutely suicidal also if prozac doesn't work for you their are various other medications that can be tried just take things a day at a time I'm sure in 6 weeks you will be enjoying your son's wedding I wish you all the best am sorry you are going through this dark time but I promise you will come through it lots of hugs 🌼🌹🌻xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.