Help with Gallbladder removal!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

My daughter has gall bladder dysfunction/biliary dyskinesia. She is always sick and has stomach aches and nauseas all of the time. They want to remove her Gallbladder. Nothing works as far as food restriction or reflux medicines. She has also lost 20 pounds in 6 months! She is 11 years old, any help will be appreciated. I am nervous about the surgery and how it will affect her life. sad

Rachel

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel. This is my first post to any forum about this topic, but out of gratitude for a successful surgery three days ago, I am posting to put your mind at ease. The surgery went very well for me, and I'm already up and around and feeling much better (and free of gallbladder symptoms!). I haven't had my appendix out, but I did have my tonsils out as a child, and I'd put both of those things on par with gallbladder removal. The pain medication I was given have left me with a bit of discomfort, but almost no pain at all. And children heal even faster. I know it must be awful watching your child go through it (I have a teen), but I think you will both feel much better when it's over. Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help.
    • Posted

Me too, I have NEVER done this before but I am so worried about my little girl. THANK YOU so much. She just had the HIDA scan and it said she failed & that her gallbladder is not functioning. She has been sick ALL summer. Nauseaus and stomach aches every day. Were you nauseaus too?
    • Posted

My situation was different. Outside of the gallbladder attacks (10/10 pain, awful), I normally felt fine. But when I was diagnosed, just about everyone I spoke to knew someone who had been through gallbladder problems, and a few described what you're saying. A client of mine said his wife never had an attack, but was nauseous with stomach aches all the time. He said after the surgery she was 100% better, all the colour came back immediately after the surgery and she was so glad she had it removed. Notably, everyone I've spoken to (about themselves or family members) said getting the gallbladder out was the very best thing. Forums might tend to draw people who have ongoing problems to chat further, but I think for the vast majority everything goes great, they get back to life and you don't hear from them here. I certainly feel that way. Like the problem is gone and I can move on in the days and weeks ahead.
    • Posted

OMG, funny you say "color". I told someone my daughter looks pale and not well. Thankyou so much for your help and kindness.
  • Posted

Hi Rachel! I'm a 20 yr old female about 1 1/2 weeks post op. I had horrible nausea and pain from my gallbladder and I'm so happy to have it removed! It was a bit rough at first because the first week I wasn't able to eat much, but now I'm so glad I had the op. No pain or nausea like before. Best of luck to you and your daughter.
    • Posted

Thank you so much and I am so glad you feel better!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Rachel sorry to put a spanner in the works but I had my gall bladder removed nearly four years ago, three months post op I started with chronic diaherea (sp) I have had all the usual tests done but everything is normal I was then diagnosed with Bile Acid Malabsorption and I now have to take 2 Colesevelam Tablets and Imodium. Please ask your consultant about it before the operation forewarned is forearmed.  
    • Posted

GULP...Thanks so much, THAT is what I am worried about!! sad 
    • Posted

Sorry Rachel but I wasn't warned that this could happen I didn't ask any questions I know I had to have my gall bladder removed but I still think that I should have been told that this could happen, thank goodness this doesn't happen to everyone I was told that only 10% of people go through this so I hope your daughter will be one of the lucky ones love and I'm sorry to have added to your worries xxx  
  • Posted

Hi hun,,,, im so sorry to hear your daugher is going through this and i can sympathise.......ive never had severe pain as in gallbladder attack but get dailey nausea and upper abdomen discomfort/pain/deep bruised feeling. I feel like i have a virus everyday!! Its awful!!  Im on waiting list for removal as my gb has thickened walls and lotss of shadows inside.  As far as im aware you can be completely fine without a gallbladder......dont really need it! Your poor girl!! hugs!!xxx
  • Posted

hi sorry to hear your child is suffering at such a young age. i am 29 years old and they said i didnt fit the usual criteria because im not fat in my forties or fatty diet. unfortunately i am one of the unlucky ones since having my gallbladder removed april 2014 i have suffered and still suffering now im lucky if i can go a week without an attack. j really really hope this will not be the case for your daughter as i wouldnt wish it on anyone. it is a decision that needs careful consideration because once it is gone it cannot be put back. i wish you and your daughter all the luck in the world
    • Posted

I am so sorry you are still sick. It is a helpless feeling. My daughter is down almost 20 pounds from the summer when this all started. She is nauseaus everyday. I don't know what else to do. sad
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed at end of April due  to galllstones.

Although I am better than I was still get stomach ache and pain in my right side though no nausea.

If her gallbladder isthis bad and they recommend removing it I would go along with that.

Keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Im sorry to hear your daughter is ill so young must be awful sad

my honest opinion is its worth the risk my quality of life is a million times better i couldnt do anything i took morphine daily to help with the 24/7 pain.

She will feel so much better, the dr should go through the risks but as they say there is a risk with all surgery. Good luck hope it all goes well xxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.