Help with Hypothyroidism....

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello out there....I hope someone else is experiencing as much frustration as I am with this dreaded disease.  Just had my levels retested and TSH is now 0.55 from 0.08 (which I was informed was creating a suppression with my thyroid) with T3 @ 3.4 (normai) and T4 @ 0.7, a bit below normal.  Used to be on Levoxyl, then they stopped  producing it, so was switched to Armour (180mg now down to 120mg), without being told of the totally different chemical makeup.  Now, after 2 1/2 years, have gained 25 pounds and cannot seem to be able to lose it.

Started to get serious, again, with my exercise - as of August 1st, been weight training 2x week/crossfit 3x per week, sometimes 4 - cleaned up my diet....have not lost 1 pound or 1 inch. And no, my clothes are not fitting any better!!  What is going on - someone please help!!  ;(

Mary Ann

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

So were you not gaining weight on synthetic thyroid Levoxyl?  I am surprised that you would not do better on Armour since it has some of the T4 already broken down to T3?  The weight gain thing is so common it's almost expected no matter what drug you are taking.  There are some new theories out there now. You can check out Forefront Health. I've been doing their protocol for about a month or more and haven't lost weight but feel better. I ate almost no carbs for so long, it's taking a while to get my system working.  Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks so much for the feedback!  No, I was not gainind any weight on Levoxyl.  Stayed at a healthy 135-140 consistently.  Then, boom...all of the sudden, the weight poured on.  I'm sure that entering periomenopause didn't help the situation, but still....I've always eaten well and exercised, but will admit to the yo-yo dieting that we've all cycled through.  Good Luck to you also....not eating carbs, then introducing them again is a tough one....wink

• Posted

Hi, the only thing I csn think of is that by 'cleaning up your diet' you have swapped unhealthy calories for healthy ones, e.g. fruit is healthy but has lots of sugar in it.

• Posted

Or exercising so much is making you hungrier and you are eating more.
    • Posted

I think it's a bit of both, plus my hormones have been so out of whack the past 2 1/2 years, it's probably a culmination of things!  Thanks for the feedback!  It's reassuring to hear from others and to know that you're not crazy, there really is a reason for all of this wink

• Posted

Hi Jake, it really depends on your type of hypothyroidism... 

It is not abnormal for thyroid meds to cause TSH levels to go to zero or near zero levels. It's unfortunate that many doctors don't know this.

Try to find an Endo who regulates your meds based on your T3 and T4 levels. You should have better luck this way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.