HELP WITH NEW MEDS PLEASE

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor has prescribed me trazodone because I rang him up yesterday said I was trying to get off mirtazapine and couldn't sleep I also said i stopped my 10mg citalopram the other day but gave in and had one because of flu like side effects and it's my birthday tomorrow so don't want to feel like poo! Can I just stop taking the citalopram and mirtazipine and just start my new meds the next night? I'm on 7.5mg of mirtazapine last week I was on 3.5mg then nothing for a few days and I felt so much better but I couldn't sleep! Or do you have to wait a week or so for old medication to leave your system before taking new ones...I only like mirtazapine because it helps me sleep other then that it's rubbish and the citalopram doesn't work been on them for 7 years.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was put on mirtazapine 2 weeks ago because I wasn't sleeping have been on citalopram for 5yrs+ o am to taper off citalopram and on my last 2 days it's just so it gives the mirtazapine time to work.

Citalopram suited me fine just the side effect of sleep deprevation I couldn't cope with I felt like a zombie and bad tempered.

Sleeping is fine now though I still do get the odd night when I can't sleep it's so much better.

Reading a lot on here though it seems to be a bugger to get off this once on it so that worries me

• Posted

Thanks Debbie has my last citalopram 24 hours ago and that's it no more...I'm waiting for the side effects to start now but I'm going to be strong because the side effects will pass I'm still on 7.5mg mirtazapine but I just feel like crying but I can't! The mirtazapine makes me feel down but puts me asleep. ..waiting a few weeks before I stop the mirtazapine just gotta get the citalopram out the way take care x

• Posted

Hi Pamela.Although I've been going onto Mirt for 12-13 weeks now,I was also being weaned from Paxil after taking 20mg for twice a day for 20 years.To me it appears it will take time to taper off a drug especially when your adding another one like I am.I would say see how you feel in a week or two and check with your doc/psy. if you don'y improve.God Bless You,Bob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.