help with symptoms of Citalopram?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on 10mg of Citalopram for a little over 4 weeks. I am getting warm to hot rushes through my body. I went to er and had blood work and ekgs. Everything is checking ok, although my bp went very high, 171/108 it took a long time to drop. Since then I am still getting warm rushes and chest tightening as well as feeling like I have a belt that tightens around my ribs directly under my breasts.

I am using all the brain tricks I know to fight from going into a full anxiety attack. Just need to know if these are things that are the storm before the calm that should come with Citalopram.

I had already started feeling a bit better before this started.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Diane sorry your still feeling bad

As I said in your last post I get these symptoms and like all anxiety symptoms I just try and distract myself.

The more you dwell on it the worse it is.

Sorry can't be more help

Lil

• Posted

So you get the belt tightening too?

I am doing my best to distract and it does work, but only very temporary. It is exhausting. I guess I was hoping that these were the awful symptoms of Citalopram and that they would decrease over time.

I do have 5mg Ativan pills that I am trying my best to stay away from unless I absolutely need them.

Thanks Again Lil - hope you are well

• Posted

Read watch TV do crossword puzzles exercise go for a run spend time with family.

I know it's hard I couldn't leave the house for about 3 months until the meds kicked in but now I'm ready to go back to work.

I still have attacks but with tips from CBT and determination I'm not letting it rule my life

Take Care

Lil

• Posted

Thanks, I have my set things to do.

Glad to hear you are able to go back to work. I am working now and it is tough. I guess I need to give the meds more time and my self-soothing and distractions even more effort. I have my first therapy session on Monday.

Sincere thanks x

Diane

• Posted

I don't think it's ever cured Diane but we do learn to manage it better over time and once the medication settles

Take Care

Lilx

• Posted

It is strange how it just started in me since I am 58 years old. Just the first anxiety attack last month and now 2nd attack this month. My Dr says this was triggered by my heart procedure.

This is all new to me. I see so many others suffer so much longer.

Be well,

DIane

• Posted

I'm 53 Ive had depression for decades the anxiety only a few months ago .

No one knows what triggered it

Take Care

Lil

• Posted

So sorry you have suffered with depression. It is strange how it has popped up in both of us. Especially with you not having any trigger.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is,my blood pressure going so high, I quit taking it lol

• Posted

I can understand that

I've had all the test done as I thought I was having a heart attack at the beginning of my anxiety and that was scary enough

Don't know if I would take anti D's if it wasn't for my depression

Lil

• Posted

My heart is still healing and they don't like my blood pressure getting so high. They gave me Ativan because i told them i was getting shaky and tighteness, later after the first attack and added the Citalopram.

Now trying to practice all the right things to do.

Diane

• Posted

Hi Diane,

I too have been suffering with anxiety. What makes you like it started because of your heart procedure?. May I ask what procedure you had done. As I am having one done on Wednesday

• Posted

I had a Stent put in a 90% blockage. And it triggered it but I had lots of things that led up to the anxiety. I lost 5 relatives in 5 years, my mom and brother were two.

Please don't think it was the heart procedure that started it alone, many other things are taking place in my life.

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. I too have lost my dad,mom, and 2 sisters. My procedure is a cardiac ablation next week. Fingers crossed......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.