Help with thyroid levels please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I will see if I can keep this short.

I have hypothyroid symptoms. Unnatural fatigue, weakness, body aches (especially soles of my feet ) and stiffness. It makes daily activities a struggle.

I have had these symptoms and menopausal ones, ( extreme night sweats, hot flashes, and mood swings), but, in a very severe and crippling way since a collapse I experienced in August 2016.

It can over me 5 weeks into a chronic sinus infection. It was terrifying.

I have had all sorts of tests done to rule out possibilities for what happened. I had always been considered healthy prior to this.

So, finally, after almost a year and a half I got my hormones checked for menopause. It proved that during this time, I definitely was in menopause. I also experienced my last cycle at the very beginning of the sinus infection in July of 2016. So, it was over a year, and no cycle.

I had my TSH unknowingly tested shortly after my big collapse ( along with alot of other things ), and my level was 3.70 . Level 4 or under is considered normal where I live.

Ok, finally saw an Obgyn for menopause help last December. Have been on hrt for 3 months now. Has helped alot! Also had TSH checked before seeing her, it was 3.71.

But, I am still feeling alot of fatigue, weakness and aches.

Got levels rechecked yesterday, here are my results, ( keep inind that I have been on thyroid and adrenal supplements from my naturopath for a month now.

TSH - 3.81 ( 4 or under is considered normal )

T3- 3.5 ( 3.1 is low end of normal )

T4- 10 ( low end is 9 )

So, my big question is, I am obviously subclinical hypothyroid. But, I am afraid my doctor will not put me on hormone help for this because I still fall in "normal" range.

Oh, my mother has hypothyroidism since her menopause at my age as well.

If my doctor refuses to help, what can I do? I am not sure she would refer me to anyone ( endocrinologist ).

Sorry this was so long, but some health journeys are...sigh.

Thanks in advance

Xo

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

You are not subclinical hypothyroid. Thyroid guidelines have been changed to TSH of 3 as max for the range. Labs don’t bother to follow, docs follow what labs say. You are hypothyroid. Hypothyroid disease can cause premature menopause, as hypothyroid disease is a metabolic disease, the body tries to preserve energy (body thinks its starving) and starts shutting down less necessary functions. First to go the reproductive functions on an effort to preserve brain and heart. Thyroid disease can cause hot flashes, adrenal disease can cause hot flashes, unhealthy gut can cause hot flashes, thyroid meds can cause hot flashes. 

Realize that hypothyroid disease is autoimmune in nature and to curb it, the autoimmune disease must be treated.  Autoimmune disease is caused by exposure to chemical, radioactive and microbial contaminants as well as extreme stress. Mercury, bromine and birth control pills are known to contribute to thyroid disease. Thyroid disease can also be  a symptom of adrenal disease or adrenal exhaustion.  Sadly, thyroid medication is not bioidentical and can worsen autoimmune disease. So thyroid medication is a solution to try and slow the degradation of the body resulting from low thyroid, but does not address the cause of thyroid disease.

Also, thyroid patients should always be tested and treated (if needed) for adrenal disease prior to prescribing thyroid meds, per medication instructions, but adrenal testing is not standard and is ignored. Basically thyroid medication is a pretty rough path with many side effects (often outweighing benefits), difficulty dosing, and time consuming trips to the doc. But even getting a proper diagnosis is ejudice, and things don’t much improve even with a diagnosis. For this reason, many thyroid patients resort to supplements, dietary and other changes to improve their overall health as well as their thyroid and immune system, while also troubleshooting their adrenal health. There’s loads of time to do this while your life is on hold and you’re waiting for meds to work properly, waiting for tests, waiting for doctor appointments, waiting.

You will find that the benefits  of hrt will eventually peak, as these also are not bioidentical and cause other health problems.

There are many books available on regulating hormones,  as the endocrine organs are all interrelated and they need to be addressed as a whole. Sara Gottfried’s book offers various levels of intervention as a hormone cure, many of which are cheap, easy and without side effects.

The biggest pitfall in thyroid disease is it causes brain fog. Thyroid patients are vulnerable because they cannot think straight, so it’s especially important to have good health support, as well as a good suppprt system as you navigate symptoms such as depression. Winter months tend to be far worse for thyroid disease due to the cold weather.

Hope that gives you some insight to what you’re dealing with and some direction. Read the many posts on diet and medications for thyroid disease. Read ALL the side effects of medications before taking them do that you can be aware when they happen.

Ask questions about diet, supplements and other home remedies other thyroid patients find helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.