Help withdrawing from Mirtazapine

Posted , 7 users are following.

I would value any comments anyone has about their experience whilst withdrawing from Mirtazapine.

I have been taking it for two years now, being prescribed it for very early waking with horrendous anxiety. Unfortunately ir did nothing for the early morning waking, or the anxiety, but I continued on doctors advice in the hope that it would work. Started on 15mg, increased to 30 mg and when the doctor wanted to up the dose to 45mg I realised that this drug was really not for me. As I am OK during the day (anxiety just 1st thing) I can't think that I am depressed so decided a few months ago to very gradually withdraw, taking the last tablet four weeks ago.

The first two weeks I felt fine and then on third week it hit me like a brick wall full on. Anxiety much much worse in a morning and now, even lasting until about luch time (never had that before!). My doctor tells me that the effects of Mirtazapine should be out of my system after two weeks and that it is a return of the anxiety. As it never left me in the first place I am inclined to think that it is withdrawal symptoms, together with itchy skin, nausea and loss of appetite. I would really value any comments or experiences anyone has had when coming off these terrible drugs.

Jean

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes I had all those symptoms as well as one,massive panic attack which I've never had before...u just have to ride it out

I'm feeling loads better now it's been about six weeks I think, although sleeping isn't that great but copeable 

• Posted

There are lot of other discussions on withdrawal from Mirt. May I suggest that  you join in one of those discussions rather than start a new discussion on more or less the same subject. I am not haveing a go at you specifically.
    • Posted

Nick everyone has their own journey struggles and circumstances...if they want to start their own discussion then so be it leave them alone. Depression is such a personal thing to a individual and everyone is different!
    • Posted

Absolutely nicki ... Depression and anxiety is a bloody curse and people are entitled to write anything they wish after all this is what this forum is for.... I was on Mirt 30 for three years and came off them with no symptoms at all and was well for six yrs so Jean take that as a positive x it may b that u have come off the drug to soon x I was back on my meds at Christmas and I am now back to full health x but if I'm being honest I personally think that it never truly leaves us but we can try our best to maintain physical and mental well being along with meds and therapy x so come on kp posting and talking we will gt better 
    • Posted

If someone is desperate to come on here and ask for advice then please let them do so without being nasty. You don't have to read it.  
    • Posted

Sorry if I offended. I am new to this site and wasn't sure of the procedure.
    • Posted

You have not offended anyone. Don't take any notice of anyone who says you have. This is a friendly forum apart from a few that put unhelpful remarks. You can say what you want. 
  • Posted

Your doctor is correct that the drug will be out your system by now, but that doesn't mean that your body won't still be reacting to cope with the abscence of a drug it's been used to.  Heroin addicts only get withdrawal symptoms when they no longer have any heroin in their system.

As others have said I would give it a while longer and see if things get better.  You've done realy well to get off the drug so it would be a shame to go back on it or another drug unless you really had to.

Hang in there, eat healthy, take some exercise if you feel able, be kind to yourself and see if things get slightly better over the next few weeks.

• Posted

Jean were all friendly on this site apart from a couple say what u want xx
  • Posted

Hi Jean

Im new to this site as well, i was only on Mirtazapine for 2 weeks, what a nite mare

the side effects were awful one minute crying then felt such rage, and still with all that ,trying to keep it from my children, i went back to the Drs and now come off them ,she said to just stop and wait 2 weeks untill i start my old tablet again

I think apart from the odd person we have taken the 1st step in just coming on here and helping each other, as they say its good to talk good luck and let us know how you doing x

• Posted

Hi everyone i am thinking of coming of mirtazapine myself as really only staying on it as helps me sleep, on it a year and dont feel much different, feel on different planet most of time and think it makes me worse to be honest in terms of mood and anxiety, should i try something else or go medication free? i am only on 15mg at night, not great with tablets, Many Thanks Colleen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.