Hemorrhoidectomy (1 month/ 12 days post op)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Sorry if this post is very scattered brained.

I’m not too great at telling things in order so forgive me.

Going to start off by saying Im 25 y/o female, 5'4, 120 lbs. I had been suffering with hemorrhoids for about 3 years. So not long as most people that go through this procedure deal with them. I also had one external that was a grade 3 and a internal that would flare up during some bowel movements. I was very insecure about these, especially with my sex life. My surgeon and mother both told me I should not get it being that they do not cause much pain and was more for cosmetic appeal. I didn’t listen and decided to go through with the procedure and boy do I wish I listened because the amount of pain I’m in now is so so much worse.

So trust me and your doctor when we say DO NOT GET THE SURGERY UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED TO.

I got the surgery 12/2/20. When the doctor says I would be fine after a week I was so happy but that was the biggest lie. I was out of work for about 3 weeks, I would have done longer but it was all without pay and my bills were falling behind.

The first two weeks I was very sore, could walk but sitting was painful. Only laid on my side when sleeping and had ice packs on hand for the pain, also take stool softeners daily and i cap full of miralax every night.

For BMs they started even a day after the surgery, being that I have my gallbladder removed mostly everything I eat runs though me.

The first few days I did stick to liquids, soups, fruits to help the stool. Also had stool softeners daily. After about 4 days I craved real food, so started eating normal again and still do to this day but still have lots of water and fruit daily. The amount of bm’s I have daily have not changed, still about 2 a day.

((After every bm I pat area to clean, wipe up with wipe and then sit in a sitz bath for 15 mins)

The swelling is like no other, and it looked so scary done there, so much worse than before surgery, looked as if I had multiple hems now. At about 3 week post op (12/23/19) I went to the doctor and he said everything looks normal and that I’m healing well. The “hems” that I’m seeing is just swelling from the surgery and will go down with time, and just to continue what I’ve been doing.

It’s been 3 weeks since that apt (1/14/21) and I hate to say the swelling is still there.

Though instead of 3 swollen areas it has reduced to 1, the site of the internal hem that was removed so I guess it is getting better but the pain is still like no other, every bm is painful and when my butthole clenches the pain just intensifies. I still sit on in a sitz bath after each bm for 15 mins. When dabbing area clean I still see bright red blood and mucus, the odor is still there as well. I started taking fiber being that multiple posts say to up your intake for better experience during bms.

This is more of an informative post on how my healing is going. But I am open for any feedback or questions on my experience.

QUESTIONS I HAVE FOR PEOPLE THAT HAVE GONE THROUGH THIS:

1. Is there anything you put on the area for the pain (specifically after bms)? Creams? Gels? My surgeon said not to ad to keep the area dry but multiple posts I’ve read say they’ve done so and it’s helped immensely
  2. How long did the swelling of the anus last? Like I said it’s been 1 month and a few days since my surgery and the swelling is still there.
  3. What type of diet do you stick to and does it help?
  4. when would be a good time to get back to working out, have you started back up if you did work out before the procedure? i really want to get back in it but im scared that will prolong healing as well.

If I have anymore that come to mind I’ll reply to my post.

Thanks for anyone’s time reading this long post lol.

And I hope if you’re going through this you heal well and fast! I wouldn’t wish this pain on my worst enemy

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear of your experience. I can't answer all your questions as I had my 3 hemorrhoids banded - pain still bad 4 weeks later. I can't bear to think about how bad it is for you.

I find aloe vera gel soothing. Regarding exercise, I'd say 3 months or more but it depends on how quickly you heal. The pressure won't help with recovery.

After 3 weeks, I vacuumed and inflated a car tyre with a foot pump and feel like I've jumped back 2 weeks with pain and I only had mine banded.

I'm told to be patient but really need to get back with my weight training as with all the Covid horrors going on, exercise is more important than ever for a healthy mind and body.

Take care and hope you heal up soon.

• Posted

I had mine 12/01/20. So I feel your pain I'm not having swelling really anymore. I still use the compound my Dr gave me ( pretty sure I use it way more than I am supposed too) numbing cream. Had complications weeks in had to have emergency surgery. I am 2 weeks post op from that. I don't know about working out so forth at the time I am still not released on either. How are you feeling? Hope you start to feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.