Hemorrhoidectomy a week ago and miserable!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey everyone! I'm 36yrs old and just had a hemorrhoidectomy last monday and I'm still in terrible pain! For a month before surgery my hemorrhoids were flared up and causing alot of pain and bleeding so the Dr said surgery was my best option for relief. So far it's been miserable and almost unbearable. I've had 5 children and would have much rather been giving birth than going through this process. In order to have a bowel movement since surgery I had to take laxatives, drink prune juice & milk of magnesia. Finally passed some stool on day 7. The pressure is constant, the pain is ridiculous. I have a high pain tolerance but this is literally kicking mt butt to the point I'm in tears several times a day. Anyone else go through this? Have any advice?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Lynch91507,

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. You are enduring the tough part right now I'm afraid, but you'll be glad to know I've heard from quite a few people that they return to normal a month or two after hemorrhoidectomy. I know that sounds horrible, but just try to keep your head up! Drink water as much as you possibly can and refer to the diet your doctor gave you which I imagine includes lots of fiber and bland foods after the surgery. I wish you the best, and don't forget to sitz bath after every bowel movement and when in pain too. It can be very relieving. Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

hi there ,

its a phase that will pass in no time .

Ensure you avoid pain relieves as much as you can .Had my hemorriodectomy in JAN 2019 and after by the second week i stopped using those strong pain killers.Continue to keep it soft and you will be glad that was the best decision you took.

• Posted

Yes, 100% yes to everything you are saying. I'm 42 and had mine in late May. I have had 4 children and I completely agree with you on childbirth being easier!! I was completely miserable and bm's were more pain than i have felt ever in my life. SO ridiculously painful!! I had read that day 10 was the turning point and I found it to be pretty true for me. I stopped the strong painkillers at 2 weeks in and i was at least not in total agony by then. I wasn't able to sit at all until around week 3.

Just hang in there, it will get better. At one month post-op i was already glad i had it done and it keeps getting better still.

• Posted

Hi i had mine on 12 july last month. exactly one month 2 days post op I'm back to normal. My advice is take lots of fibre every day and drink lots of water to ensure stool is soft take stool softener. Sitz bath with epsom salts 2 to 3 times a day for 10 to 15mins each time. Ice pack the area after every bm. I'm back to normal routine at 10th day. Everything went well and I'm totally a normal person now. no more pain no more hem. good luck !!

• Posted

HI, oh my god i could have written this post myself! i had this surgery 2 weeks ago today. I completely agree that childbirth is preferable to this pain. i had lots of internal ones removed plus a polyp and skin tag. i was told recovery would be one week. I feel like its never going to get better. I am supposed to be working from home today but I am lay in the bath as its the only relief I can get.

Does anyone know if there are creams or suppositories you can take to ease the burning feeling? I feel so miserable. We are going on holiday on Tuesday and I couldnt be looking forward to it less, in fact I am dreading it. I was managing it with regular ibuprofen and paracetemol and one tramadol a day and i stopped taking the tramadol a few days ago but had to take another one today after having to have a third BM of the day. Its not helped by feeling like my bowel is in overdrive, i have to go around 3 times in the morning, I keep staring at peoples bums and feeling jealous that they have a normal bum and can just do a poo and live their life without this pain. its just been all consuming, I cant concentrate on anything else 😦

• Posted

Had this op in 1996 and it was painful for a couple of weeks. Had bleeding a week later and had to have bed rest to recover.

In 2015 I had doppler guided halo treatment which was virtually painless and so far 100% effective. Recommend the latter and an experienced colo-rectal surgeon. Mine was brilliant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.