Hemorrhoidectomy and working out

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all, just a few quick questions...

I had a hemorrhoidectomy done in July, removed three large internal hemorrhoids and one external.... I've also had skin tags removed since then as well...

So my question is, when can I return to working out and jogging again?

Because I'm super scared this will return again.... and no way in this lifetime do I want to ever go through that insane recovery ever again.

Any advice from those who have been there?

Zeke

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

PS - I do marathon runs and mud obstacle course races as well.... hence my need to get back into shape again.... unless perhaps I simply retire from them altogether?

• Posted

I had my hemorrhoidectomy done on Sept. 27th and had three grade 4 internals removed, a fissure repaired, and a sphincterectomy done. Prior to the surgery i was in the gym every single day, extensive cardio and moderate to heavy lifting routines. To say i was i peak physical shape before the procedure would be an accurate assessment. my resting pulse rate hovered between 38-44, weighed 183 with around 8% body fat. this surgery put me out of commission from the gym for about 3 weeks....i started off slow going back just hitting the treadmill, however i have made my way back to my full cardio workout of an hour on the stair machine but my lifting is only about 60% of what it was before the surgery. my advice would be to start out where your body feels comfortable, if your body doesnt like something you are doing it will let you know. this surgery shouldnt prevent you from staying in shape, just exercise in moderation until you feel 100% and maintain a high fiber diet!

• Posted

Risk of return of same situation is minimal. I was running 4 days afterwards. I have run 4 half marathons since (5 months post op), and no issues except always carrying baby wipes JUST IN CASE.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.