Hemorrhoidectomy. My experience.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all,

I had a hemorrhoidectomy on Friday 9th February 2018. My appointment was booked for 0730am that day although I did not actually go to theatre until closer to 1530hrs that day. That in itself is quite hard to take because you are not allowed to eat or drink prior to the surgery.

I woke from the general anesthetic at around 1730hrs. Prior to surgery the surgeon sat me down and advised that there were two options, 1) Stapling the hemorrhoids and 2 cutting them away. He discussed the pro's and cons of both which were,

Stapling - A slower recovery time, less pain but a stay over night due to the probability that I would bleed.

Cutting the hemorrhoids away - Sever pain, faster recovery and can go home the same day so long as everything goes to plan. 

He advised that a decision would be made as to which option they would progress whilst I was on the operating table. In the end the decision was made for full removal by cutting the hemorrhoids away.

The first mistake that I made was to believe that they were wrong about the level of pain. I chose to discharge myself at circa 2130hrs that same evening. The nurse advised me of the medication that I would need to take which included metronidazole, Senna, Omeprazole, Lactulose Solution and Coedine. 

So the biggest mistake I made was to believe that there was no pain and any would be manageable. 

At circa 0400hrs I awoke to some of the worst pain I have ever experienced. I suffer from Diverticular Disease and the pain I get with that I can often take some way before I need to take pain suppressants. I would even go as far as to say that it was worse than when my appendix went and when I broke my nose playing football.

By 0700hrs I was back in hospital and was immediately given liquid morphine which did not make a difference to the pain levels that I was in. Next up was for me to be given morphine by way of a drip. All of the above could have been avoided if I had chosen to stay in the care of the NHS for the night.

I would never try to dissuade anyone from having surgery such as this because the truth is you are having it because it will improve your quality of life. But please do not be as stupid as I was and believe that the pain is manageable whilst you are still under the influence of a general anesthetic. 

The pain is going to be bad. But at the same time it is going to get better.

10 days on and my experience is that it still hurts to go to the toilet. Warm salt baths after each bowel movement are helping with this. I am hopeful that today will be my first post op without me taking any pain suppressants.

I am still bleeding, but it is minor and there is a small discharge so I am having to wear a pad, which as a man is embarrassing but at the same time makes me appreciate what my wife, daughters and other woman have to endure once monthly.

Whilst this blog may not be the best written I wanted to share my experience and ask that anyone having a hemorrhoidectomy is well prepared for the level of pain that you will experience. But again I will say that it does get better and from my experience quite quickly too.

Good luck people. And prepare yourself one hell of a pain in the proverbial. It will get better.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Simon glad things seem to be improving. I'm due my op on 6th March. What painkillers did you take? I'm with the nhs but oh is being done through a private hospital as that's where did send me . How are you now x

• Posted

Hello Studentmum,

Thank you for replying to my blog post.

Post op I was given Coedine along with paracetamol. However this did nothing for me and I ended up returning to hospital and being placed on liquid and then IV morphine. That was the day after surgery.

Since then I stopped taking the coedine as it constipates you which makes things worse. Instead I started taking aspirin.

Yesterday the 20/02/18 was the first day post op where I hadn't taken any pain suppressants. That said today the 21st I have had to and I have reverted back to the Co-codamol that I take for the diverticulitis as I know they work.

I wish you the best of luck. Please prepare yourself that this is going to hurt. And I mean really hurt. However as they say no pain no gain.

Good luck,

Si

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.