Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all, I’m a 40 year old female. I developed haemorrhoids in pregnancy and although they didn’t bother me too much I had issues with bleeding which were causing low iron and haemoglobin. Tried lots of natural alternatives including banding (4 times) in the end surgery felt like an inevitable option. My consultant said it’s generally a straight forward operation, most issues occur with surgeon error so make sure you have faith in your surgeon. However I was warned the recovery is painful.

I didn’t feel too bad for the first 24 hours, but I was probably still pretty high from the general anaesthetic. Admittedly the days that followed weren’t as easy. I’ve had 3 natural child births so I think my pain threshold is pretty good. However, nothing could prepare me for trying to go the the bathroom after the operation. I nearly passed out on day 1 and the following days were just as bad with the swelling making it more challenging. I had bleeding after but this went after 4/5 days.

Here are some the things I did to help. They made all the difference and within 8 days I was back to going to the bathroom fine and by day 10 I was back at work and out and about.

1. Take Arnica supplement (follow the directions) this helps reduce the swelling and aid recovery. It helped with my pain as it lowered my inflammation.
  2. I took paracetamol for the first few week and would take in the morning an hour or so before I was due to go the bathroom. If possible avoid anything strong like codeine, tramadol that may may cause constipation. If you get constipated the recovery becomes more challenging and you’ll feel even more uncomfortable.
  3. Lots of baths and showers. I was bathing 3-4 times a day for long periods. The water therapy helps relax the body and aid healing. I started adding Epsom salts to my baths after 4 days.
  4. Tumeric is amazing for the body and has lots of healing and anti-inflammatory properties. You can take as a supplement or I added a teaspoon to coconut milk. Give it a really good mix to take away the powdery flavour. I added half a teaspoon of hot chocolate powder for flavour and whisked it.
  5. Ghee (clarified butter) in your hot drink. I added this to my tumeric milk. This acts a lubricant inside your body and made passing the stool much easier.
  6. I was prescribed a stool softener from the hospital which I took. I added a movicol sachet in the morning and evening. It’s vital to have a soft stool to make going to the toilet easier and less painful. It also avoids irritating the wounds
  7. After a few days I felt like I was coming down with a rash around my bottom area so applied mustard oil after bathing. External use only
  8. Avoid difficult to digest foods, dairy, fried food, meats etc. I have been eating lots of home made soups. I’ve also been eating stewed pears/fruits with breakfast and after dinner.
  9. Drink lots of water, hydration is vital to recovery.
  10. I take a daily probiotic with fibre I continued with this.

Good luck!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.