Hemorrhoidectomy recovery experience

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all,

Been reading this forum for a while and got some really good tips and knowledge of what to expect after my surgery. I'm writing this post at about 5 am day 4 post op. I will describe my first 3 days and my experience so far hasn't been that bad. obviously there is pain but with the meds and baths it is tolerable.

Just some pre surgery tips which i feel have helped my recovery so far:

1. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED PRIOR TO SURGERY!!! You will not want to move let alone go to the store to buy stool softener or food. If you have the time prepare everything and more than you may need.
  2. Avoid constipation at all costs. i had my first BM yesterday very little bit formed but soft and it was like someone shoved a knife up my ass. my toilet bowl looked like a crime scene. now imagine if that stool was hard. i don't want to. I am currently using both miralax and colace. Remember anesthesia will slow your bowels and those wonderful oxycodone pills which will take the edge off will also make you very constipated.
  3. Drink lots and lots of water. again oxy dry mouth you will be thirsty and avoid constipation drink water and a lot of it.

well sorry this is turning out so long but here are my first few days of recovery...i put this off for so long have no regrets right now wish i would've done it a lot sooner. Good luck I'll try and report back as often as possible and answer any questions anyone has.

DAY 1

Surgery was scheduled for 1pm and to my surprise that is about when it commenced. Got knocked out woke up about 5 after 2 on my way to recovery room. No pain mild discomfort and I had to pee(which would be and still is a recurring theme) got a long lasting anisthetic shot up there good for 6-12 hours. Drive home kinda sucked cause I had to pee again but the anesthetic was doing its job. Picked up my oxycodone and thought hey this ain’t too bad. Got some

Minor discomfort and the feeling of always having to urinate without much coming out but hey whatever I’ll deal. It’s now midnight about 11 hrs post op and 2 hrs post pain pill. Numbing started to wear off about 2 hrs ago which is why I popped the first pill. It hurts but it’s not gut wrenching I wanna die pain. My biggest thing is I still feel like I have to pee every 2 minutes. Also this packing up my bum makes me feel bloated and like I need to s**t but can’t. And heaven forbid I try and push it out then I might faint. Hopefully I get some sleep and update tomorrow for day 2 pray🙏🙏🙏 0400 finally peed in tub 🛀

Day 2

So because of all the swelling I can’t pee standing up. Just have to pee while I’m in the tub which is kind of annoying but whatever. Feel like having a BM and may have idk this mucusy bloody mix is coming out but I don’t see any fecal matter yet. More pain took some mirilax to have a bm still haven’t gone again pain is probably a 4 at most times reaching 6 when I feel like a bm but in short bursts tamed by many sitz baths

Night2/ day 3

Slept much better last night and was in significantly less pain so decided to skip an oxy. Had some soup and oatmeal along with Metamucil and miralax. Finally had a bm at around 3pm and immediately popped a pain pill and hoped in a sitz bath. Stool was soft and there wasn’t much but blood came out as well. It was a pain that was pretty much indescribable and thank god the stool was soft. Avoid constipation at all cost.

Night 3

Slept about 4 hrs straight but woke up at 4am in some discomfort and pain. Not time for another pill yet so sit on toilet relieve some gas and hop in a hot bath to relax. It’s now 4:30 and I’m struggling to fall back asleep. Laying on the couch all day has kind of f****d up my back and I slept awkwardly earlier so my neck is now bothering me also. Yay so much fun. Pain is definitely tolerable more discomfort with the occasional sphincter spasm cause more pain. Idk why but I’ve had a lot of gas buildup and that is probably the most uncomfortable. It hurts to pass and it’s hard to pass gas it’s odd. Still beats constipation. Seriously don’t get constipated...also standing up straight hurts for some reason. if i hunch over my butt doesnt bother me but when i stand straight up im in pain its kind of weird.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

just had my 2nd BM and that is when the pain really sets in. cleaned of in the tub quick drained the water cleaned tub then soaked in the tub fir a while helps ease the pain but this is the only time i can say for me it gets really bad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.