Hemorrhoidectomy Update: Major blood loss.

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I have a open thread on here describing my recovery but decided this issue deserves a new topic. Please read my original post for all the prior details. 

On Sunday night (9 days post op) something extremely scary happened. Around 5:00 pm after eating a full meal and feeling good I decided to try to have a BM, so after a little bit of straining and no result I decided to go in the tub like I normally do. After about 5 mins in the tub I felt a heavy urge to have a BM so I jumped out of the tub and onto the toilet and had (what I thought was) a good bowel movement but with more blood than normal. I went back in the tub, after about 5 mins I noticed the water turning red from blood so I drained the tub, turned on the shower and went back on the toilet and had another bowel movement with nothing but blood. I began to get light headed and not feel good so I had my wife call somebody to drive me to the ER. I began to feel nauseous and faint and shaking uncontrollably so she called the ambulance. My blood pressure was 52 over 33, my insides were rapidly filling with blood. I got to the ER and told them that I had to release everything that built up inside me and I fainted, I had lost 4 units of blood and had to be transfused. After 3 hours of laying nearly upside down and having unit after unit of blood pumped into me, nearly dying twice from blood loss and having blood just leaking out of me and up my back they took me for surgery. Turns out that one of the stitches from an internal hemorrhoid that was remove had opened up and was pumping massive amounts of blood into my colon. The “BMs” I was having were nothing but clotted blood. This was a horribly traumatic experience, by far the worst experience of my life, I was literally dying and was too weak to do anything about it. I just remember laying there and thinking “I’m gonna die” and I was ok with it at that point. Needless to say I am alive and well.I am home now and everything is ok physically.  My surgeon came in before I was discharged and told me that what happened was very rare especially this late into the recovery process and that there is very little info on it because it is such a rare thing, so I decided to write this so people can be informed. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Wow! That is really scary. I am glad that you are OK now. I hope I never have to be scheduled for surgery. 
  • Posted

Hi, hope you on the road to recovery. That was an awful experience you had, hope all okay now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.