hemrrhoidectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm post op 3 weeks. Here's what happened with me:

1. Minimize your prescription pain meds. They constipate and slow healing. no amount of stool softener can keep up and you need to walk around to stimulate and to help heal.

Day 3 I took myself off of pain meds completely except at bedtime.

2. Sitz baths 4 times a day are your best friend

3. Panty liners were a must

4. Day 3 was the worst because anesthesia was completely gone and it was time for a bowel movement. This is when I doubted if it was worth it. I literally breathed into a brown paper bag because I thought I would pass out. I then used the sitz bath to do it and that made it much easier. I had no shame at that point. I did this on day 4 as well. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO HOLD IT.

5. Stool softeners 3 times a day and the BMS got easier. Cleaned and sitz bath after every one.

6. Had it on a Thursday and I went back to work on monday. Sore but manageable.

7. I noticed what looked like another small hemorrhoid. Doctor at 2 weeks said it was a skin tag common after surgery and would self absorb Within about 6 weeks. Anything left could be removed in the office. I am 3 weeks later and it is 1\2 gone.

I have been fully released from all restrictions.

I am glad I did it. the issues from the hemorrhoid are gone and hygienically it is much cleaner. Worth it for me. Best advice......minimize prescription pain meds, walk and lots of sitz baths.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Nice to read a positive post.

Take care of yourself.

• Posted

Hi I had my operation in October. I read what people had written and was dreading it. I had three internal and two tags. The doctor told me later after the operation mine was difficult. I was sick after the operation so had to stay in hospital over night and was not allowed home the next day unless I could pea. For my BM I was give lactulose and fybogel and for the pain it was paracetamol and dihydrocodeine. The first BM was awful but I took a bad after it, did small walks each day. Drank lots of water and had a high fibre diet. I would advise anyone to have the operation.
  • Posted

I totally agree! Come off pain meds, I’m just on regular paracetamol and small ibuprofen. Day 4 post op. Quite sore but drinking lots and walking around house. Depends what type of surgery you have also, think I was stitched up with no packing. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.