Here i go!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Guys

Just been and picked up my prescription and i must say im excited to be taking the plunge (yet again) into weight loss. Im a serial deiter, but always end up quiting and putting on what i had lost. I done great at weight watchers, always loosing every week but since gaining 3 stone since March 2010 (i have about 4 stone to loose) i am now back on the road to skinniness! I needed a kick start and asked my doctor if i could be prescribed Orlistat to help me, or frighten me into avioding the wrong foods. As i dont want to be having 'accidents' when im at work i thought this was a good option.

I must say though that reading through the posts i am now critical of how much Orlistat will actually help. At weight watchers i would usually loose somewhere between 2 and 4 pounds a week, there seems to a few people on here who are loosing that in a month! I would be devastated if i didnt loose a great deal in 4 weeks. I suppose the quicker it goes the quicker it goes back on, so i must think positively if im to stick at this

Also, Ive heard the first week you get the oily leeks, :shock: is that true? Im not looking forward to that, but to be fair who would! My doctor didnt give me much information on them at all apart from i have to go to a weight management meeting once a month but she hasnt told me if i have to book myself or if i get a letter through the post, does anyone else go to these groups?

I start tomorrow so will update on my progress.

Till next time

S x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You only get the side effects if you don't stick to 30g or less of fat per dayincluding snacks, most people split it like this 5g breakfast, 10g lunch 15g tea.

Try and not think of it as a diet but as a way on eating healthier botherwise you will revert back to your old ways and put it back on. You can follow weight watchers with these tablets but remember to count all the fat.

Good luck :D

• Posted

you should of been advised to start a low fat diet for a couple of days before you actually start the tablets as sometimes if you have had a high fat intake the tablets can act on that so that's probably why you have heard of oily leakage in the first week.

These tablets are not a miracle cure, the only way to loose weight and keep it off is to have a balanced diet and do some exercise.

Don't take a diet as a punishment but a new way to obtain a healthier happier life and still enjoy your foods and experimenting with dishes and snacks.

• Posted

I havent received an email from the website yet to say i am a member so having to use summer3 instead of summer2!

Thanks for the advice. Im trying to convince myself that im not dieting, just eating healthy. I went shopping the other day and found it hard to buy anything as it seemed everything i picked up had more than 5g of fat per 100g and i read on here that you should avoid any foods with more than 5g per 100g, is that right? Also what happens if it says for example for fish cakes, 7g fat per 100g but 4.2 per fish cake, can i have those? Ive been eating noodles, baked potatoes, smash, beans and Quorn sausages but cant think of anything else so eating manly the same things every day

My doctor was very nice but clueless, just asked me if i was aware of the side effects and that was it. Ive been good so far but starving! I just had lunch and forgot to take my tablet so took it anyway, i ate about an hour and a half ago, was that just a waste of a tablet?

I also found that most WW founds are high in fat, so going to avoid buying the ready meals, there cakes seem fine though so put a box or 2 in my basket

• Posted

Hi Summer3

You can take a tablet up to an hour after eating. no point after that.

Have you tried Asda's range of frozen meals last time I looked they were 5 meals for £4 and alot of them were low fat especially the rice ones.

• Posted

Hi Summer

Asda do a range of low fat frozen ready meals, last time I looked they were 5 meals for £4.

You can take a tablet up to an hour after eating.

• Posted

theres lots of food out there thats low in fat, strictly speaking everything does not need to be less than 5% fat per 100g weight however its better for you to consume as much as possible from that range.

dont forget theres foods such as prawns, chicken, turkey that is low fat, you can still eat cuts of meat - make sure you remove all the fat first then grill to remove more of the fat, i eat lean beef steaks and occasionally a pork steak, i do however avoid lamb as its very fatty throughout.

you should be able to make most meals you made before but with lower fat substitues

• Posted

Sticking to foods that are less than 5g of fat per 100g is part of the Rosemary Conley plan. I agree with what others have said on here, good to do it if you can but I tend to go by how much is in the overall pack, eg foe lunch I have a Morrisons eat smart minced lamb hotpot at a total of 337 calorie and 8.8g fat.

With my main meal I try to include veggies where possible to increase the size of the meal. Last night I made a huge chicken stew in the slow cooker which will do my partner and I for tea the next 2 nights.

I'm not a very good cook so do eat a lot of processed food, which I am trying to cut down on, but there is a lot out there and you can get offers. I found some weight watchers frozen meals in Asda 5 for £5. The lasagne was lovely with salad and a jacket pot. Morrisons also have some of their Eat Smart range at half price at the moment.

Good luck with your weight loss journey, I'm sure you'll do just great

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.