here i go again

Posted , 3 users are following.

well, i have been on mirtazipine now for 4 days, i do sleep better, but all day i fear the panic attacks that might come on me,its ruining my peace of mindi dont feel so good now as i am typing this,any tips on helping me to shut them out of my mind, thankyou.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey there Queen. I'm new to this forum, however, I have been having panic attacks for a while now. They started when I was younger, went 5+ years without one and they recently started up again within the past month. The hardest part I think is the after effect. Being scared of having another one. One thing that I have been doing to help me is I downloaded an app (someone suggested it on this forum a while ago) and it's called "Calm". It teaches meditation. I had never meditated before this, (I was always skeptical) but so far it seems to be helping me a lot. Just remember to take deep breaths and to feel your breath. Wherever you can feel it. Whether it's in your belly, or in your throat or nose, and just breathe and focus solely on your breathing. Block everything else out. Try not to panic about the reoccurance of panic attacks. That's one thing i'm still learning to deal with. Just keep reminding yourself that they, the panic attacks, cannot hurt you. If you feel one coming on, get a cold rag and put it on the back of your neck, shut your eyes, put your hands on your knees, sit up straight and tall, and breathe. Try not to think about the panic attacks. Easier said than done. I feel for you and will keep you on my mind. One other thing I did, I've been reading a book called "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy". It has been helping with my anxiety. Those are just a few things I can think of but you are at the right place. Everyone on here has been so helpful to me in my times of crisis and panic. Just remember to breathe. And please keep us updated. We all care! Feel better love!

• Posted

thankyou so much ashley, you have gave me great advice, if i start that horrible feeling coming on i will do as you say, it makes good sense, i know the deep breathing is good, but didnt know about the cold rag, thankyou again, i wish you well also, these bad turns are horrible and frightening, i feel awful like i am passing out, its terrible, god knows what on earth they come for, its a nightmare.i will also try the calm meditation, it sounds good, all the very best to you. xxx
    • Posted

Hey Queen. I'm so glad I could help you. The cold read I've learned kinda shocks your body and helps you calm down faster in my experience. The attacks are very frightening but just repeat to yourself "I'm okay. This cannot hurt me, I'm not in danger". It helps saying it quietly to yourself. I'm passing on all the wonderful advice I've received on here. I hope you feel better Queen and remember were all here for you anytime you need it!! smile

• Posted

thankyou again ashley, so far i am ok, in fact i feel good today, but i wont get over enthusiastic as i know eventually my mood will plumet yet again, i am taking it just day to day, and live in hope the mirtazipine kicks in and helps to keep me on a even flow mood and helps with those evil anxiety attacks, i hope you are ok.xx
    • Posted

You are so welcome Queen! When you're feeling good like you are today, focus hard on that feeling. Being positive helps as well. Live in the moment. Continue to tell yourself how good you are feeling and tell yourself that you're going to have a great day and don't even think about the anxiety (easier said than done). I know when I wake up feeling great I tell myself "I'm feeling so good, I feel wonderful". Staying positive really helps. And sometimes with the fear of the anxiety, if I even think about the anxiety and panic, my mind will focus on that negative and it'll lead me into a panic. I'm trying myself so hard to stay positive. Your meds will kick in and things will continue to get easier. I started my citalopram 3 weeks ago and I am feeling it now!! I'm so thankful for it. And taking 30 minutes to relax, meditate, and even drawing myself a bubble bath! I'm so glad you're feeling better todaysmile

• Posted

I know ashley, its great to feel happy, no amount of money can compensate for that feel good feeling, especially when one is down so much, i am so very glad you are getting better, i know you are a very nice person who cares,i also care, i know what its like to be afraid and low, and its so nice when you no longer have those twisted horrible feelings, i hope and pray that my life gets better and i hope all the people here get well and as happy as they deserve to be, its one life and its cruel to be sad, life should be enjoyed, its everyones right.keep in touch ashley, love angela.xx thats my real name.
    • Posted

Well it's very nice to talk with you Angelasmile I have such a huge heart and I love to help people whenever I can. And I'm so glad to be feeling better as well. It's hard sometimes but I can finally see the light and feel great again. It's very hard to have the feeling down and blue moments. Lately when I have them I'm sitting still, so I'll get up and do anything to get my mind off of it. I'm here anytime you need to talk Angela!smile

• Posted

hello ashley, its been a long time since we messaged, i hope you had a good xmas, i was ok but on my own, how about you?, well i am ok in myself, but afternoons are tricky, as thats when i feel strange, i am using rescue remedy, it does help.you were right as like you yhe evil turns come on worse when i am still, if i get up and move a bit,it gets better, my feet and legs are bad from weight gain, the mirtazipine gives you an awful sweet tooth, but now in the new year i will get back to my normal weight 9 stone 7 pounds, do keep in touch ashley, lots of love angela, xxx
  • Posted

Hello queen

You could try breathing exersises, or Relaxation Techniques, Mindullness is the favourite at this time and there are books that explain the technique.

You could approach your GP or possible CPN, they may have tapes to explain these techniques as well

BOB

• Posted

Many Anxiety sufferers have a heightened awareness. Being in a state of constant apprehension for what might happen, and I stress here might, will only feed your anxiety.

There's been some great advice given to you in responses so take that advice on board. My own suggestion is trying to have the mindset that if (IF not when ) you have a panic attack, you will deal with it. Until then you will carry on with life.

• Posted

Hello queen

You need to take your medication for upwards of 5/6 weeks.

Look for a distraction, if you are working on your typing try listning to music or something you enjoy. 

When I am typing away here I watch the television at the same time. When I was at college and work I used to need to type. Also I usd to be a travel writer so my typing is quite fast and I can most times type without watching the keyboard. Although now with arthritis in the fingers I sometimes miss the keys hence my errors. So what with my short term memory I am not as good now.

Try multitaxing

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.