Hey everyone I'm new here. I've just started taking mirtazapine 30mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

I finally went to my doctor in march as I had been feeling down for well over a year,

but didnt think it was anything serious until my flat mate made me relise that this was more than just feeling down. So this is the third anti depressant I've tried, since March.

The other ones which were citalopram which did nothing at

all and then went onto fluoxetine was only on that for a 8 days but made me really moody and

snappy and the slightest things annoyed me. So i came straight off fluoxetine and I'm now on

mirtazapine 30mg at night. After the first night of taking it I didn't sleep good at all then I woke up with a pounding sore head and felt totally spaced out all day stayed in bed all day till half 4. The next day I had a bit of a sore head and still felt a bit spaced out. I'm now on day 5 of taking them I feel tired all day and there not really helpin me sleep and so far my mood hasn't changed at all.

But I'm a bit worried that they will make me gain weight as I'm tryin to lose weight and really don't

want that to happen. Has anyone been on these and not gained any weight?

I'm so fed up of feeling like this to the point where ending it all is all I can think about and think would be better than going through this hell everyday :-(

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This feeling of drowsiness should settle down after a few days. Soon you will not feel drowsy the next day at all.

Regarding weight gain. The only reason you gain weight on this drug is that it stimulates the appetite and you eat more. It especially makes you keen on sugar. I have been on the drug for 18 months and I have gained only half a stone. I stopped buying tempting food like chocolate and biscuits and so I could not pig out on them. Now, my appetite is absolutely normal. I have stabilized my weight for the last year. Not gaining a pound. I do not have the ravenous appetite any more.

Good luck. Mirtazapine does not suit everyone. But it has been a blessing for me.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear it can be controlled as I was really considering seeing my docotor about changing them. I've been cravin sweets the last few days but luckily I didn't have any in. And went to my slimming class and I had lost 2 pounds so hopefully I keep it up and at least not put anything on. Still no change in my mood and today I've had no energy at all and felt so spaced out and dizzy, I feel like everything is such an effort to do even writing this. Anyway thanks for your reply. X
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on 20mg fluoxetine for just over a year and gained a whopping 20kg and water retention - plus I am taking 10mg Amitripityline for my migraines. I began to experience severe pain in my joints and complete lethargy so much so that my work declined and my home suffered for it.

I recently went back to the docs and he has changed my anti-dep's to 30mg mirtazapine. I've been taking them for the past 3 weeks and it makes my brain feel fuzzy all day as if I were seeing and hearing everyone through a funnel. I also feel sleepy all day and have to take a half hour nap in my car when at work over lunch to help me get through the afternoon. Strange enough when it comes to my appetite it has stifled it so hopefully I will begin to shed the weight I gained whilst on Prozac. Another side effect i have is i wake and stay feeling very thirsty all day with very bad heartburn - so abit worried considering I had water retention.

• Posted

I was on mirtazapin, 15mg, for a couple of months. I did not gain weight and it didn't increase my appetite. However it made very sleepy. I could have had two naps a day but fought off more than one as I try to lead a busy life. I was so sick of being sleepy I stopped taking it - cold turkey. That was a BIG mistake as the withdrawl symptoms were awful. I was so weak that just making my bed in the morning exhausted me. I missed a friend's party because I felt so sick. It was as if I had the flu and also lost appetite and slept poorly even though I was exhausted. I was beginning to think I had contracted some disease as I was so weak.I was getting desperate but after about a week of this torture I got better and my energy has returned. My depression was mild so I think I can do without any antidepressants or at least I hope so. I have heard if you taper off gradually when quitting mirtazapine you won't suffer the withdrawal symptoms that I experienced. My sympathy to all who suffer withdrawal symptoms from any antidepressant.
  • Posted

Hi there like wise I've been on citalopram and fluxitone over the years... Which frankly did nothing for me. I'm currently on mirtazapine 45mg for the last year. For the first 6months all seemed ok. Recently I find all I want to do is sleep. When I say sleep I can go to bed and sleep almost a full day a night and the whole nxt day. I find my moods increased for a while but now they seem to be dipping low again... .I won't lie I have gained 2 stone since starting them a year past in march... and believe me it's not for over eating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.