Hey! It DOES get better! [post TKR]

Posted , 11 users are following.

Wow! I hung on to everyone's claim that things get better but was constantly exhausted, in pain, and doubting if I would ever feel like myself again.

But, yesterday I drove myself to the store, last night I got 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep, and today I comfortably stood at the bathroom mirror to get ready for the day without even thinking about sitting down. I do believe I'm still me after all. smile

Hang on everyone---good days and nights are coming! Let's be gentle with ourselves and keep the hope!

5 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How long ago did you have your TKR done.I'm at 4 weeks today.

• Posted

I am 11 weeks post op and have days now where I actually forget O've had my knee done, unfortunately it reminds me the next day because I overdid it on the good day but I just rest up!

There really is light at the end of the tunnel. ??

• Posted

Yessss! Way to go Sandra! Nice to hear. I look forward to "forgetting". Too!

• Posted

So good to hear .... how long since your op? At just over 3 weeks can only dream of forgetting about this all encompassing knee!  Thanks for the encouragement
    • Posted

Susie---

7 weeks post op for me. The 3rd and 4th weeks were the hardest for me, physically, mentally, and emotionally and I still have those days but so much better now. Keep dreamin--those days are coming for you!

• Posted

Oh thank you Letha, so good to know.  I thought I was doing well,  but now feeling a bit overwhelmed and obsessed with the fact that the bed is not good despite all the exercising.  So now I will hope to get past it and aim for the better days! Have a good day or evening, depending on where you are in the world , I am in the UK

• Posted

If you can't get comfortable in bed, you can try putting a pillow length ways from knee to end of foot, don't put it just under your knee it needs to support the whole leg from knee down, or to sleep on your side try putting a pillow between your good and operated leg to protect your operated knee, I really struggled with sleeping the first few weeks because I hate sleeping on my back, I started sleeping on my side from 3 to 4 weeks.

• Posted

Sandra--right on. Same for me too. I want to sleep on my back--just doesn't seem to be comfortable.

• Posted

thank you for the inspration Im feeling pretty bad today still no sign of physio my GP is still looking into it and still the tight band when I walk. How long ago since your op?
    • Posted

Hi Rose,

It's been 7 weeks for me but everyone's pace is different. Keep stretching it regularly at home. You will get there!

• Posted

I had the tight band feeling especially when walking, I wasn't walking correctly, you have probably not walked correctly for years, you have to teach your brain how to walk properly again, try walking around the house lifting each leg in an exaggerated cycling like motion bringing your each foot down to heel then following through to toe, it looks silly but it worked for me, I hope that makes sense, you can probably find an example on YouTube or Internet.

• Posted

You are right Sandra, I havent walked properly for years! due to hypermobilty I have dislocated my knee caps several times so the new knee feels weird cos its more stable. Ive been concentrating on wearing trainers instead of always walking indoors barefooted as I can walk better barefoot.Will def take your advice thanks
    • Posted

I had that feeling quite badly with the first TKR. I never saw physio and hardly exercised compared to what some people are doing based on what I read on here. I had many days when I said "OMG i'm going to be stuck like this forever" and I even said that I wish I had the leg amputated. But I got to about 5 months and things started to improve. Now that leg has a normal range of movement. I am still aware of the surgery, still some odd feelings in it but it is fully functional and I was even able to run on it a bit after nearly a year. That was until i had the other TKR about 4 months ago now. This knee has the banded feeling. Not sure if it isn't as bad as the first or if it is because I know the feeling. Yet again I haven't had physio and the execises I do are leg raises and bending and I do that in short bursts as often as I can during the day. I threw away my crutches as soon as I got home from hospital and basically I try to behave as if nothing is happened!

?I walk normally without a limp even though the bend is still only just about 90 degrees. At three weeks after my surgery I was out showing my dogs.... A two hour journey and then belting around the show ring! What I am getting at is be positive. I am usually a glass half empty kind of person but I realise now that I am going to be fine and the leg is improving but it is a slow process, much slower than we anticipate. So stop worrying, don't torture yourself. Keep doing the exercises and don't worry too much about targets because you will get there.

• Posted

Letha, I'm glad all the words that were shared eventually rung true. We each get there at our own pace. Thanks for sharing with others that it is indeed possible.

• Posted

So Funny that you said you were blowdrying your hair without looking for a place to sit. I am 11 days out and just move back to my house for my brothers house been at the hospital for one week. The hardest thing for me to do right now is stand in one spot. But so far so good except for some nasty fracture blisters. ❤️❤️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.