Hi

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 6 weeks on after TKR and I'm still feeling sick and finding it difficult to eat

has anyone else had this problem?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I remember having no appetite at your stage. I actually lost over 1/2a stone. I thought it was the painkillers but even when I stopped the strong ones I still didn't feel like eating. I think it got better at about 8 weeks so, hang on in there, it should improve. Jen 
  • Posted

mayboe you still have some of the anasthetic inside you making you nauseous.

Richard

• Posted

Hi 

another day of nausea... And I stopped the painkillers yesterday. So hopefully it will settle down .....I'd rather battle the pain than feel I had a spinal block for the Op ...so it shouldn't be affecting me 6 weeks on 

jean 

i'll probably give it over the weekend then if it persists go to see my GP

• Posted

I would definitely see your GP next week.  Nothing worse than continually feel nauseous and he/she can prescribe something for you.
    • Posted

The problem Jean is not eating becomes a vicious circle. So, if you can manage to eat little and often, that will help.
    • Posted

I'm sure you'll feel better soon. As I said before I didn't get my appetite back even after stopping the strong painkillers. It must be something to do with the trauma of the op on the body. I couldn't even enjoy a glass of wine! It does get better though. I think I was about 6 weeks. Hope things improve soon for you. Jen x
  • Posted

Hi jean, yes I have this problem too, can't face food and feel slightly nuaseas when I do eat. I am never actually sick but know it wouldn't take much to throw me over the edge. Can't seem to fancy anything even tea and other soft drinks, I have been like it since the op and am now 10weeks . I've lost a lot of weight not sure if I should see Doc or let it ride until I am fully recovered take care tucks
    • Posted

Hi Tucks, as I said earlier in this discussion, I felt the same but did improve after about 6 to 8 weeks I think. I just wonder why we get like this. I wonder if it's our body getting used to the new alien metals inside it? I hope you feel better soon. I remember how good it was to begin to enjoy the taste of food again. Not that I eat huge portions now (not a bad thing) and I don't think my appetite is fully back to normal yet at 13 weeks today. Jen x
    • Posted

Hi Jen. You may very well be right about having something alien in our bodies.the op knocks the stuffing out of you and it makes sence that iour boodies are going to let us know about it.no one prepared us for these things and feelings. When I went to the knee school, they said there would be pain but never mentioned the emotional side of things. I was not prepared for any of it. My granddaughters wedding is 1st nov and I will be wearing a second outfit, as the first one I bought just hung on me. Just wish I could get back to normal Jen. Take care my freind from tucks x
    • Posted

Hello all

ive been round the shops today for the first time since my TKR op

i had a taxi to shopping centre ...it took me all my time to make the effort I was sweating and really scared which is not like me as I'm usually a positive person......but I made myself do it because I was getting as if I only felt safe indoors

i walked rounds for about 30 mins sitting down when I felt rough

now Although in pain I feel really proud of. Myself.... And won't be afraid to go again

Jean

• Posted

Well done Jen. First step is the hardest and you've done it. Congratulations.
    • Posted

Well done Jean! Looking back in the posts you're only 6 weeks after your TKR - is this right? Gill X
    • Posted

Yes I'm just over 6 weeks post op although my bend isn't great yet  and physio tomorrow so I will probably come home in pain once again

but after my outing today I'm feeling a lot more positive 

x

• Posted

Think you're doing really well Jean. I am only at the planning stage. I asked my GP last Friday to refer me and I'm not sure when I'll hear. I'm finding it really interesting reading everyone's experiences on this forum and hopefully picking up some tips and ideas for when my time comes.

kind regards, Gill x 

• Posted

It's definitely harder than I imagined ...but ....onwards and upwards...I sorted my problem out with the nausea ....I stopped taking the painkillers for a couple of days and it settled down so on Saturday I took them again and the problem was back ....so now all I'm taking is Paracetamol when needed 

jean

• Posted

I bet you look good in your new outfit! Let's hope your appetite returns by November so you can enjoy your meal. I went to a wedding last week and was afraid of all the standing around but it was ok. Everyone understood when I sought out a chair - some with their high heels on were quite envious I think 😊 I'm sure you'll enjoy yours. Jen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.