Hi

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im looking for some advice please ,  regarding , taking diazepam , ive been taking 2 x 5mg  of diazepam daily for 2 years , 3 months ago , things were calmer , and i felt i only needed 5mg , on a daily , basis , can someone advice me the best way to set myself a safe  tapering schedule , to reduce from 5mg to 0 mg Thankyou 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you google The Ashton Manual this will guide you through a safe weaning off process. It is very important that you wean off very slowly to avoid dangerous withdrawal signs and symptoms.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi louise. I myself was highly addicted to diazepam for a very long time and when I tapered down to 5mg , I took that for two weeks , then I got my g.p. to put on 2mg, I took 2mg of diazepam for two weeks and then I stopped taking them completely. It's not easy so if you had any support (someone to talk to etc...) That would be a great help.. I wish you the very best of luck...

What are your biggest fears around this...

• Posted

I have bad anxiety and anti deps havent helped me. I have 5mg diaz at night and try to take no more than 2mg or 3mg in day.  I would like to try tapering but not sure whether to start with slowly dropping a little off the night time one first as i wake feeling anxious each morning just now. Would it be a good idea or cause more trouble.   I am not sure i can cope with this even slow withdrawal.  Did you need it for anxiety or not?
  • Posted

Hi Louise the Ashton Manuel is a good guide however a lot of people can not go at the speed it suggests.l would lower 0.5 mgs and hold for 2 or 3 weeks.You could be lucky and get few withdrawal symptoms.If you need more information go on to benzo buddies web site.Just take it slowly.
    • Posted

Hey Marleen how are you doing? Just checking in! Where are you at now? Are you coping okay? Hoping all is as well as can be at this point.

Shane

• Posted

Hi Shane l am sitting on 2mgs still and won't be moving until after Easter.l want to take a break from all the madness for a while.l was hoping to be off by now but I want to be off and stay off so it is going to take longer than I had hoped.l hope you are doing well? Marleen

• Posted

Hi Harriet l mean drop your dosage by 0.5mgs and stay on that dose for 3 plus weeks.
    • Posted

Thanks Marleen . I feel like I have been kicked all over on awaking. Is this the withdrawal?x

• Posted

I don't think so as l assume you only reduced last night.Diazepam has a long half life so I find withdrawal symptoms kick in about 4 or 5 days after a cut.Having said that anything is possible.Just let the withdrawal symptoms come and go sadly there is no other way to do it.The brain needs time to regulate itself.Seriously benzo buddies are great for support and advice if you need it however it can also be very scary as well as some people have really bad withdrawal symptoms.Just use it if you need it and remember we are all different.

• Posted

Hi Marleen, you have already come a long way. I know how hard it is but you will get there. Not a race. Good to let things settle for a bit until you feel ready to push forward again.

I am doing ok thanks. Glad the nightmare is finally behind me. I still have intermittent tinitus which is annoying. I am seeing an ENT doc on Wednesday. See what she thinks.

My god I hate this drug and the damage it does to so many lives! Hard to believe how often Benzos are prescribed in Canada. I know so many people dependent on them. Shocking.

Hang in you will get there! You are determined! Checking in periodically, reach out if you need support. SHANE

• Posted

Thank you Shane.l think they should be banned.l have to say I have never experienced anything like this in my life.l hope you get your tinnitus sorted out however I would imagine it will pass with time.lt is great that l have you there it means more than l can say.l will speak to you soon.

Love Marleen.x

• Posted

hi Marleen Is nausea one of the side effects/withdrawal symptoms of these poisons aka benzos? Thanks. x
    • Posted

Yes I get a lot of nausea and my stomach becomes very unsettled however it does pass with time.Look up prof Ashton's tapering Manuel and it gives you a list of withdrawal symptoms.You will not get them all so don't panic but it will let you see what you may get so you understand the withdrawal symptoms better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.