Hi

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im looking for some advice please ,  regarding , taking diazepam , ive been taking 2 x 5mg  of diazepam daily for 2 years , 3 months ago , things were calmer , and i felt i only needed 5mg , on a daily , basis , can someone advice me the best way to set myself a safe  tapering schedule , to reduce from 5mg to 0 mg Thankyou 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi louise. I'm only recently after achieving a benzodiazepine detox with the help of my doctor. When I got down to 5mg I took the 5mg tablet for 2weeks then I reduced to 2mg for another 2weeks and finally 1mg for 2weeks. I found this way was best for me because I was taking benzos for so long that they were dictating my life and I wanted off them so bad. Please don't worry about the withdrawls, if you do it right you won't suffer much withdrawal, maybe just feel a little uncomfortable. Also , just because I reduced every 2weeks doesn't mean you have to. It's not a race you reduce at whatever you feel comfortable at. That was just my experience. I wish you all the best and if you ever need to chat please msg me anytime. Take care. Ray

• Posted

How much did you taper down from Ray? What did your dr advise you to do? 

My GP will not advise me . Yet when I said I want to stop taking them he said 'Good'.!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Hi Alison. I tapered down from 40mg over a long period but it 100%do-able . My doctor aside me 5mg every 2weeks until I got to 5mg, then 5mg every two weeks then 1mg for two weeks and that's them finished completely. Thank -God, because there very addictive.

You're g.p won't give you advice in case you have a withdrawal fit, so he won't tell you anything except that you're better off without them. What dosage are you currently taking. Have you got support e.g. Close friends, family, that you can talk to, cause it's hard to explain to someone who doesn't know what you're talking about. The best of luck. Ray...

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am taking 30 mgms a day. I feel completely de motivated and do not want to move around. I also feel slightly breathless and sputum clear but a bit thick.

Fed up feeling like this. xx

• Posted

Hi Alison.I completely understand how you feel. It's a very demoralizing feeling...

30mg might sound like a lot but it's not... When I was detoxing I started taking vitamins doing menial exercise, like streching. I would do anything to improve my moral.

The hardest part is realizing they're a problem and you have to stop taking them ,and you've done ? that. So well done.

• Posted

I am in the same boat. I am full of despair about these drugs. GP does not want to know. Please can you suggest a regime of daily activities to engage in. I can walk round the house but my legs burn and my bum is numb at times. |Did you find diet problematic? Thank you
    • Posted

Hi Harriet. I understand why you're full of despair. They are a horrible drug. What helped me through the process was support from friends ,family etc... I also started meditating and mindfulness and although I didn't take to it at first, I was asked to give it a chance and I did, and I do it religiously now. I also kept a diary and wrote down my good and bad days. Swimming helps a lot. I hope that you find some of this useful. The main thing that helped me was been able to talk to another person that knew how I felt.

• Posted

Oh yes. My diet was very erratic. Some days I only drank water. With little or no food .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.