Hi all , I really need help and advise

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have Gerd symptoms  since February  2017  and currently on Nexium 20 mg twice a day with Ranitidine 300 mg  .    

Initially have had Moderate antrum gastritis . Endo results May 2017

Moderate esophagitis in lower third. 

Hiatus hernia 1 cm .

H.pylori quick test is negative ( history of H.pylori gastritis 6 years ago) .

I have lost so far 26 kgs  since February 2017 / 5 stones 

2 new endoscopy done  shows  normal soft tissue  /   mild chronic gastritis no active inflammation biopsy results .

Current symptoms  :  strong burning in my chest ,behind and below sternum bone which stays sore for days after acid attack sometimes come up to my throat , bitter /sour taste , indigestion. It usually appears late  3- 4 hours after eating. Need to clear up my throat acidic/no acidic sputum after eating. The symptoms really bad some day  with mild symptoms other days, No stable pattern ! 

My  question : has anyone has cured after taking long term med of PPI ? 

Many thanks  

Msf

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

Ppi drugs arent cure.

They reduce acid produced in stomach to allow for yr gullet to heal.

Ideally one need to change what they eat,when and how much of it.

Also how u sleep is important ....

Hope u feel better soon.

• Posted

I found that the initial dose was not enough and my GP doubled it. If you are still getting symptoms then the dose is not enough. I take 30mg Lanzoprozole a day and have been for about 10 yrs. I am pretty much symptom free but there are certain foods I avoid as I know they trigger my reflux.  Once you know what foods to avoid and the dose right you should be able to get symptom free, 

I wouldn't worry about taking PPI long term, the most dangerous thing you do is get in a car, they kill people every day, a PPI doesn't do that 

• Posted

Ppi's are not the cure for gerd.  My husband was on them for 17 years and although his symptoms improved, he had a recent endoscopy that showed scarring on his esophagus and gastritis. Because ppi's are an acid blocker, it robbed him a nutrients, so he was very deficient in many vitamins, he had so many aches and pains and a constant headache.  He weaned off of them and is working on diet, and we are seeing progress.   Life style changes is the only way you can recover....

• Posted

Hi linda ,

does your husband taking ppi regularly for 17 yrs & how does he weaned off . I am taking ppi for about 1.5 yrs , initially i was prescribed for acid reflux . It does reduce the acid but i get constant stomach burning & lots of other issue. i had endoscopy twice . First one shown nothing but the second one shows some erosion in fundus. Every time i tried to stop it i get horrible acid reflux , sour water comes into mouth & its unbearable .any suggestion on how to stop it will be highly appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Susan,  my husband weened off the ppi's in two weeks, you can't just stop cold turkey.....still he has a rebound effect which is not surprising being on them for so long.  He thenstarted taking digestive enzymes with each meal, a probiotic, melatonin at night,....he still has to watch what he eats and avoid the trigger foods, which is chocolate, coconut and spicy foods.....he still gets acid reflux from time to time, but I bet I feel he was able to cut coffee from his diet he would be in tip top shape.  He is also seeing an osteopath to help keep the les closed....all this has been very helpful.  He now uses Gavascon when needed and Zantac.  

• Posted

Hi, 

How did your husband able to stop it in just 2 weeks. I am trying since 2 mnths now. by gradualy reducing my dose .but still if i stop it totally for a day i get horrible acid .like my stomach is full of hydrocloric acid sour water comes back into mouth. I never got heartburn though. I strictly avoid acidic food, do not smoke or drink , still i am not able to stop this horrible drug.  

• Posted

Based on what you're describing, you're still having GERD symptoms. You may need to change your PPI and certain lifestyle changes like sleep with your head elevated on the left side. Avoid too spicy foods. Avoid onion, garlic, caffeine, alcohol, smoking.

Also if you're taking PPIs long term, take vitamin D and vitamin B12 supplements at least once a week. Take regular probiotics as a stomach with low acid can greatly increase chances of bacteria and yeast infections.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.