Hi All Yesterday after undergoing an Ultrasound Scan i ...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi All

Yesterday after undergoing an Ultrasound Scan i finally found out what had been causing me discomfort on and off for the past few years -'Gallstones'. It's a relief to know whats causing the horrible pain and sickness which has got worse over the last 12 months. I now have to go back to my GP to find out what the course of treatment is to be. I had an attack over the weekend one minute i felt fine and the next it was full on pain and vomiting with constant diahoarrea. I've tried taking paracetamol, hot drinks/cold drinks and hot water bottles, to try to alleviate the pain but nothing works. When the pain subsides a little (usually after 5 or 6 hours) i feel like i've been kicked by a mule. Has anybody got any helpful tips on how to cope with an attack? I am just glad i found this site and to know that i'm not alone.

[i:24520542d6]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:24520542d6]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I do completely understand your pain. I had my gallbladder removed 4 weeks ago after 9 months of pure torture. I have absoluely no regrets and am finally pain free and can eat something other than toast and cereal!

I found that nothing even touched the pain I was experiencing until eventually I was prescribed a very strong pain killer by the hospital after my second admittance. My attacks were so frequent and lasting 24-36 hours each despite following a VERY strict diet that eventually I had to give in and take something. The side effects were not very nice (made me feel like I was in a different world :?)and I really didn't like taking them but they did take the edge of off the pain and I was able to cope better with it.

I would speak with your GP about it and see if he/she can help and perhaps perscribe something that can get you through until your sugery.

I wish you all the best.

[i:a9de103610]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:a9de103610]

• Posted

I am 100% with you! In fact I felt you might have been writing my story. I too was diagnosed with "lots and lots of stones" following an ultrasound - on Oct 10 as well! It is helpful to know I am not alone in my pain... wishing us both well.

[i:d5d453a400]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d5d453a400]

• Posted

Hi!

The pain of gallstones can only be understood by those who are suffering/suffered them.

I find to help take the edge of my pain i constantly have a hot water bottle glued to me,my G.P has given me co-codamol for the daytime and Tramacet for the evenings,the latter pills do increase my fatigue.

My misery is soon to end as Im having the damn thing removed on the 30th October!!!!!

CANT WAIT! Although pretty worried about having an op (am 39 and avoided hospital all my life, apart from 3 kids!

Would recommend seeing the surgeon privately for aprox hundred quid as he will shove you straight on his NHS list and you wont be wasting time waiting for consultants appointment only to be told you need an op, it kinda fast tracks you! Its what I did.

So here goes, hopefully next time I post on here the misery of Gallstones will be behind me. Good luck to all fellow sufferers. xxx

[i:0b17a0df44]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:0b17a0df44]

• Posted

Like you all I am in pain with gallstones. I was rushed into hospital with a suspected heart attack but thankfully after many tests I was diagnosed with quite large gall stones. I had another attast night and one 3 days ago. I feel dreaful. I am 59 stopped smoking 4 years ago and absolutely terrified of having the operation.!!!!! I too keep thinking I wont wake up. Why are we uch babies? My grand daughter aged 11 is so much braver than I and cant wait for me to get to normal as she calls it. The only good thing if you can call it a good thing is that I have lost over 2 stone in weight which has done wonders for my Chronic Bronchitas/ Asthma.I can go up stairs so much easier.

I wish all the very best to those who have had the op and to the others who feel as scared as i do. Take care and God Bless.xxx

[i:9064501e21]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:9064501e21]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.