Hi everyone I am 7 weeks in on TKR

Posted , 2 users are following.

I can get 140 reflection but I can on get to - 5 on extinction close but I want 0 .any ideas. Been walking and stairs are no problem,phiso says he's done after 2 more visits,but also says I am doing great ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I'm 15 weeks post tkr and flexion fine but but still at - 7 to 10 depending on swelling.

Have been advised all different but could be 12 months to stretch my ligaments I'd say -5 is good at 7 weeks so just gradually increase your stretching exercises for extension. If you had a fixed flexion deformity pre op physio told me it will.take longer to gain full extension. Might be worth asking your surgeon if he got it to 0 degrees at time of op.

It's the flexion that enables you to do the stairs and +110;needed for normal stairs and cycling.

I know it's frustrating most on her seen to have problems with bend not extension.

Keep at it and remember we are all different. I was panicking at 4 weeks when I was -17 and was posting on here for a magical recipe but it's a haul and just gotta do the work. You are doing well keep at it !

By

Jan

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I'm 15 weeks post tkr and flexion fine but but still at - 7 to 10 depending on swelling.

Have been advised all different but could be 12 months to stretch my ligaments I'd say -5 is good at 7 weeks so just gradually increase your stretching exercises for extension. If you had a fixed flexion deformity pre op physio told me it will.take longer to gain full extension. Might be worth asking your surgeon if he got it to 0 degrees at time of op.

It's the flexion that enables you to do the stairs and +110;needed for normal stairs and cycling.

I know it's frustrating most on her seen to have problems with bend not extension.

Keep at it and remember we are all different. I was panicking at 4 weeks when I was -17 and was posting on here for a magical recipe but it's a haul and just gotta do the work. You are doing well keep at it !

BW

Jan

• Posted

Hi there, I also struggled with extension with my 2nd TKR, and it took ages to get it straight. The 2 best exercises I did were #1 - get one of the oven gloves with a glove on both ends, put a can of beans/tomatoes/veg of choice 😂 into each one. Rest your heel on a coffee table or similar, so that your heel and bottom are level, and GENTLY drape the oven glove over the knee. It hurts, so much so that I used to set a timer for 30 seconds. It took me a good while but I worked up to 10 minutes. And #2, try and get hold of one of the inflatable exercise balls, and in a similar way to the last one, balance your heel on it and you can gently bounce into the bend and extension - that one can actually feel quite nice. Hope this helps xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.